Author Topic: maths thread i guess (calculus is way cool(kek))  (Read 4340 times)

can someone please explain to me what the forget a derivative is? also explain in brown townytic geometry ples
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:50:48 PM by SubDaWoofer »

what the forget is a sonic

i take it you are failing maths

tl;dr unless i have to actually read it all
The derivative of a function of a real variable measures the sensitivity to change of a quantity (a function value or dependent variable) which is determined by another quantity (the independent variable). Derivatives are a fundamental tool of calculus. For example, the derivative of the position of a moving object with respect to time is the object's velocity: this measures how quickly the position of the object changes when time is advanced.

first paragraph

under united states copyright law, a derivative work is a work based upon another work, with substantial enough modifications to be considered "original"

this is one of the few examples where Simple English mode on wikipedia is helpful for native english speakers/adults aswell

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_(mathematics)

In mathematics, the derivative is a way to represent rate of change, that is - the amount by which a function is changing at one given point. For functions that act on the real numbers, it is the slope of the tangent line at a point on a graph. The derivative is often written using "dy over dx" (meaning the difference in y divided by the difference in x. The d's are not variable, and therefore cannot be cancelled out.

i think you should use Simple English mode on wikipedia from now on. :)
well it doesn't really simplify any concepts, so it doesn't make much of a difference unless the problem you have understanding a regular article is just that it uses lots of terms you're unfamiliar with. the simple english wikipedia just uses english words that english language learners are more likely to already know, and excluding more complex ones like "fundamental" or "independent"

in other words: if you're bad at math, the simple english article won't help

edit: I can appreciate that you edited your post to make it less condescending, but what I can't appreciate is that you still didn't fix the link

it's how much a value is changing

if you derived x^2 (which is a parabola) you'd get 2x, which would draw a line with a slope representing how much y is increasing at some point over and at x, aka the gradient

dy/dx is just the notation for y = functions, you write it if you're not given f(x) =, for that you write f'(x)

in physics terms, if you use the equation displacement = ut + 1/2at^2 if you derived the parabolic equation of -4.9t^2 you'd get the speed at some time t by doing (2*-4.9)*t because speed is the rate of change of displacement/distance

EDIT: speed is the derived because h is the height at some point in a journey and is the y axis, and the t is time which lies on the x axis, so it's ds/dt = speed
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:57:31 PM by Maxwell. »

I'm bad at math and I sure understood the concept in Simple English mode. The reason standard definitions in higher subjects are often hard is because they use a lot of extensive vocabulary not in use by the general populace. Simple English mode fixes that.

I'm bad at math and I sure understood the concept in Simple English mode. The reason standard definitions in higher subjects are often hard is because they use a lot of extensive vocabulary not in use by the general populace. Simple English mode fixes that.
you still didn't fix the fukkin link

hey op, just to help you out I'll give you something to graph stuff with, it's easy to use and live and it helps solidify geometry problems
https://www.desmos.com/calculator

and if you're stuck with algebra (which you need quite a bit of in calculus)
http://algebrarules.com/