Author Topic: [News?] Sydney high school students synthesize $750/pill drug for $2.  (Read 1888 times)

But he's right.  Creating a small sample of a drug in a school lab is completely different than creating thousands of milligrams that are safe for human consumption.  The form of ignorance these reporters show is despicable.

But he's right.  Creating a small sample of a drug in a school lab is completely different than creating thousands of milligrams that are safe for human consumption.
You're right. The bigger the production, the cheaper the cost. If it costs $2 to make it in a lab, industrializing it will make it cost much less.

But he's right.  Creating a small sample of a drug in a school lab is completely different than creating thousands of milligrams that are safe for human consumption.  The form of ignorance these reporters show is despicable.
cunt there's no way in the world the massive markup on the pill is just to pay for the factory stuff
they were doing fine selling it at $13 remember

But he's right.  Creating a small sample of a drug in a school lab is completely different than creating thousands of milligrams that are safe for human consumption.  The form of ignorance these reporters show is despicable.
This is partially right but not entirely.
They created one of the main ingredients of it. But, they did not create everything necessary for the pill. Also, they didn't factor in the time it took to actually make the ingredients.

BUT, with that said, that doesn't change the fact that the pill is still insanely cheap to make with all the optimizations and efficiencies of a large scale operation. Which it is. They're normally marked up so much to recoup R&D costs, but this particular pill was marked up from around $100-$200 to $600-$750 per pill far after they had already recouped costs and made a huge profit. The company just got greedy and these high school students have done a fantastic job bringing light to that.

An example on this would be my experience. 10 pills of aspirin are sold at $20 ars here. Each containing 400mg of the drug itself. 4g of aspirin at $20 ars. I've spent $15 ars on materials, excluding gas and electricity, to make a single pill of aspirin in the school lab.

There is literally no excuse for the price of $750 if the same drug can be remade for $2 in a school lab. Sure with legal fees and industry costs the price can rise a bit but that exageration is unexplainable.

The only people who will go to Shkreli's funeral will be paid to go. This richardbag will have a lot coming to him.

but this particular pill was marked up from around $100-$200 to $600-$750 per pill
noooo
it was marked up from $13.50

obviously it was profitable at $13.50, or the previous owner wouldn't have been able to make any money off of it. so there is literally no excuse for raising it to $750
"durr it's called business" doesn't mean anything, because first of all, I don't know why anyone would think businesses should be held to lesser moral standards than individuals, and more importantly, that kind of increase is far more than just "business". just doubling the price (while still a morally questionable thing to do) would be plenty. it's not like any of those extra profits are going to anyone other than executive people like shkrelli, anyway

shkreli is pretty bad at league of legends

am i the only person who loves shkreli

Dude is a loving wizard

if i recall correctly, daraprim was made in like the 1950s and does a really bad job at what its supposed to do. it was dirt cheap because the people who owned it didn't care at all to raise the price for funding to try and come up with a better alternative, (which is what martin shkreli is doing) but martin hates the media and he doesn't give a rats ass what people think so he doesn't bother explaining it. on the other hand, he explains it very well in his live streams.

am i the only person who loves shkreli

Dude is a loving wizard
no dude ive made like 3 topics about him

also this is the most hilarious vid of him ive ever seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWd4-Z0xBos

no dude ive made like 3 topics about him
he literally is a wizard and people need to stop being so jealous of his magic

Why is there such controversy over Shkreli and the price hike? You're either paying for drugs with your health insurance or are a poor bastard without insurance so who cares what you think?

If anything I congratulate Shkreli for using his experience in finance to stick it to those loving Jews.