Author Topic: Looking for another kind of game...  (Read 762 times)

Yes, I know that I've done this before but I was wondering if you guys had any idea as to whether a game like this exists.

I'm looking for a game where you have to kill things, but the amount of things you kill actually matter and serve a purpose for having died, and not respawning. I'm imagining a game where, say you're a mob boss in a war with another mob, and you can choose to kill a bunch of the other mob's mobsters. Doing this would leave them with less resources and less people to send after you in missions.

Or maybe a zombie game where the dead forgets don't respawn, and clearing out a city is actually significant for this reason. One example of this would be Project Zomboid with the right options enabled, but it still feels like either too small, or too boring a game and I would prefer something a little more action-oriented.

Another example would be a lot of RTS games like Warcraft or Starcraft, where you can lead a sudden attack against mobile enemy forces, which may or may not leave their base with a lot less defensive power. But again, I'm looking for something that has more action than just bossing troops around. I'd like to kill those filthy mooks my damn self.

Anyone know of such games where it's not an endless slaughter? Where the enemy has a definitive population that you can personally reduce to 0?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Literally anybody can die except for a select few plot-important NPCs. You may be wandering the Zone doing a quest when the PDA beeps with a quest failed all of a sudden because the NPC ran into some bandits.

The mount and blade series are like this but they are a bit of a time sink

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Literally anybody can die except for a select few plot-important NPCs. You may be wandering the Zone doing a quest when the PDA beeps with a quest failed all of a sudden because the NPC ran into some bandits.

This, I'd highly recommend to play them in chronological order (Clear sky > Shadow of Chernobyl > Call of Pripyat). One of the best game series I've ever played.

Civ series?
Same premise as my RTS examples, but as a TBS which is even slower.
The mount and blade series are like this but they are a bit of a time sink
I tried playing M&B like how I stated above, but the lords just generate 100-strong armies constantly, and there's nothing you can do about that unless you have a mod where you can kill lords. But even in that mod it's not a good idea because everyone hates you afterwards.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

So there's factions that you can slaughter? Yes, there is. But do they constantly respawn members or pull them out of their ass? Either way, I guess I'll take a look at STALKER.

Metro 2033 all the way bb

I just now remembered Red Orchestra 2, with the ticket system, all of your kills matter much more. There's also Far Cry 3 (maybe the others too) where you can clear those bandit outposts, and have them stay cleared out, with friendly units replacing enemy patrols. Same goes for Just Cause, I believe.

I guess I'm thinking more of a game where you can actually take the enemy's resources away from them, and in this case, their human resources.