Author Topic: AiPlayer-based Customizable Weaponry???  (Read 4292 times)

I thought of a neat idea and if it can be done i'd love to get some people together and work on it.

Since players or bots can be mounted to other players, I thought about a weapon system that mounts a weapon that would be an AiPlayer to the players hand.

Why? Because Other than vehicles, players are the only thing that can have hidden, completely customizable nodes.

This means we can make weapons that can have
  • Custom Body
  • Custom Attatchments
  • Custom Rectiles
  • Hands (If you really want to)
  • Tumble Physics on item drop (This will probably need to be a toggle preference. If its off maybe make the dropped item a dead player?

All being completely colorable as well

the downside would be that
(Please correct me if i'm wrong)
  • No LODs
  • No eyeOffset
  • No correctMuzzleVector
  • No Weapon State System (maybe a workaround that mounts a blank weapon image to the bot?)

If and if its possible, anyone down to help with it would be really great. I of course would make all the models and some simple scripts
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 12:45:05 PM by Trogtor »

there also would be no muzzle to start the bullet from / it would be distorted when looking up or down / bullets would have to start from eye muzzle

Interesting idea but has some downsides. I'd love to see this in action.

there also would be no muzzle to start the bullet from / it would be distorted when looking up or down / bullets would have to start from eye muzzle

Interesting idea but has some downsides. I'd love to see this in action.
you can mount both an image and a bot to the same slot I believe. and you can manully calculate muzzleVector pretty easily

What? You could easily get the vector the same way (hint: it's always forward (which is the same as the eye vector), except in first person, where it calculates a vector between the point and to where the eyepoint is looking at, this does not change), while getting the point from the bot.

you can mount both an image and a bot to the same slot I believe. and you can manully calculate muzzleVector pretty easily
You can. You can mount 4 images to the same point even. (mountpoint wise, not slot wise.)
You'd still have to do that too, if you wanted to use the state system.

You can. You can mount 4 images to the same point even. (mountpoint wise, not slot wise.)
You'd still have to do that too, if you wanted to use the state system.
oh cool i did not know this. that makes things a lot easier

What? You could easily get the vector the same way (hint: it's always forward (which is the same as the eye vector), except in first person, where it calculates a vector between the point and to where the eyepoint is looking at, this does not change), while getting the point from the bot.
Yeah it makes sense. you could model an ai playertype to look like a gun and make the muzzle point the eyeNode.

Also worth noting that remaking the state system would be so easy and a lot better, since you'd actually be able to change fire rate and delay between 'states' without having to restart the server. Now that its mentioned I'm beginnign to think this is genius and i'm going to try to test this out when i get home today

States will be interesting.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:27:00 AM by Perry »

maybe an actual system script that allows creation of these types of weapons?

Yeah it makes sense. you could model an ai playertype to look like a gun and make the muzzle point the eyeNode.

Also worth noting that remaking the state system would be so easy and a lot better, since you'd actually be able to change fire rate and delay between 'states' without having to restart the server. Now that its mentioned I'm beginnign to think this is genius and i'm going to try to test this out when i get home today

States will be interesting.
You could use any mount point as well and not just the eyenode.

for eyeOffset you could try mounting the player's camera to the bot gun and that could emulate scoping or something. though i dont know how it'd look if you flail your arms or jump

maybe an actual system script that allows creation of these types of weapons?
problem is that its not a system thats easy to generalize. what would the system include? what would it allow modders to do?

i know that swollow has done a lot regarding this but a lot of it is very specific purposes. for example, she used it to make a revolver she made eject shells in the right position and the right orientation, and also used it (without reusing any of that old code/bot) to animate a canteen going to your face to drink. its hard to generalize vastly different uses like this into one general system.

problem is that its not a system thats easy to generalize. what would the system include? what would it allow modders to do?

i know that swollow has done a lot regarding this but a lot of it is very specific purposes. for example, she used it to make a revolver she made eject shells in the right position and the right orientation, and also used it (without reusing any of that old code/bot) to animate a canteen going to your face to drink. its hard to generalize vastly different uses like this into one general system.
A state system with some organization would be pretty easy to pull off. It requires a lot of arrays to dedicate stop and go conditions like a regular save state does, but it actually has more possibilities than the regular states have.

Plus, having a bot mount instead of a weapon image allows you to trigger animation sequences manually. Before, you couldn't cause a weapon image to play an animation outside the state system.

Alright I tried this out. The first issue i'm having is that things mounted to slot 0 don't show up in first person. Anysolutions?

Alright I tried this out. The first issue i'm having is that things mounted to slot 0 don't show up in first person. Anysolutions?
you're not going to see bots mounted to yourself. unless you turn on renderfirstperson on the playertype you are.

you have to have a bot mounted to 0 with the item/bot mounted to the bot.

you're not going to see bots mounted to yourself. unless you turn on renderfirstperson on the playertype you are.

you have to have a bot mounted to 0 with the item/bot mounted to the bot.
interesting. i'll try these out. anyways here's some cool progress (im actually climaxing over the nodecolor stuff)

Also while i'm at it I want to ask how to spawn a bot in thin air without the use of a bot hole.