I am unsure about how to feel about something I did today.

Author Topic: I am unsure about how to feel about something I did today.  (Read 1293 times)

Technically yesterday, since I'm posting this at 1 AM.

So today I had a moment where I had to stop and just ask my self, "what the forget."

I realized how much of an starfish I could be. An autistic kid that I have to sit next to in class constantly taps my shoulder, back, and head when I put my head down, or if he feels like asking me for help, or for any other reason he decides to interact with me. He won't talk to get someone's attention, he'll go over and make their damnedest attempt to touch the other person before making a request. Anyway, after repeatedly and politely asking him to stop touching me and to leave me alone, he does it some more and I see him smile. So I respond to this by pointing that out, and then calling him Spongebob. (His trigger word, any time anyone says it, he'll moan quietly and plug both of his ears with his fingers. Say it repeatedly, and he'll wave at you and ask you to stop saying it.) After doing that, he does what he always does, and I put my head down again, as the class is just reviewing stuff I already know concretely.

Then he taps on my head again. I don't get up, I just turn to him and say, "Dude, hands to yourself. If you touch my head, if you touch me again, I'll start saying that word again." After that he frowns, and never bothered me for the rest of the period. I felt a bit of guilt then, but mostly relief, and thought of a quote that made me WTF at myself even more, "The only language these animals understand is violence."

I am quite unsure what to do about myself and this experience. I like being nice, but being a richard just gets better results sometimes.

I like being nice, but being a richard just gets better results sometimes.
no need to be unsure there's your answer

ask your teacher to move you

From the beginning I thought you beat up an autistic kid and I was mortified, but now that I've read through it all I think you did the right thing.

It's okay not to have infinite patience. It's even okay to lose your cool sometimes. Not everyone gets the message the first time.
But it's important not to lose sight of the fact that the only purpose your existence can ever serve is the betterment of the lives of others.

The kid isn't your responsibility, though.

Well he wasn't going to stop if you didn't do anything. It's good to stand up for yourself, even if you don't like confrontation.

Well he wasn't going to stop if you didn't do anything. It's good to stand up for yourself, even if you don't like confrontation.

This

this is correct

does he have some trauma with spongebob or something? i guess making someone remember something traumatic is pretty mean, but i get you were annoyed and it was probably the only thing to make him stop

ask your teacher to move you
Already did, she refused, citing that she will only ever move students during a new quarter. At least she has promised to sit me next to my friend again, since we're like the only ones that can quietly get our work done together.

does he have some trauma with spongebob or something? i guess making someone remember something traumatic is pretty mean, but i get you were annoyed and it was probably the only thing to make him stop
Probably, but I don't feel comfortable digging deeper by asking his dad (who teaches at the school, has only produced handicapped children) and no one else I've discussed his habits with know why he does what he does either.

Kat gave the absolute most important/relevant/helpful information in this thread

The kid isn't your responsibility, though.

this kid is not your responsibility, if he's bothering you then go say something to a teacher, and if it persists and the teacher is sleezing out about taking care of it then go to the main office and complain about it. Being autistic doesn't make you evil by any means and this kid is not an enemy, but everyone in that class room's education heavily outweighs the autist's education. Especially if he's being a nuisance whether he can process that or not.

Already did, she refused, citing that she will only ever move students during a new quarter.
aaand time to complain to the main office.

He probably just really hates the show. I knew some handicaps autistic kids in school and they took spite waaaay too far. Where if you just mentioned something they dislike they would get pissed off.

but everyone in that class room's education heavily outweighs the autist's education. Especially if he's being a nuisance whether he can process that or not.

Not going to happen. If the U.S. education system is anything like Canada's then the teachers have no real power to move the kids and even if the kid was moved into a different room with an EA the parents would complain and he would get put right back into the class.

He probably just really hates the show. I knew some handicaps autistic kids in school and they took spite waaaay too far. Where if you just mentioned something they dislike they would get pissed off.
if that's the case then it doesn't matter

Not going to happen. If the U.S. education system is anything like Canada's then the teachers have no real power to move the kids and even if the kid was moved into a different room with an EA the parents would complain and he would get put right back into the class.
hell yeah I love negligent school systems/parents

hell yeah I love negligent school systems/parents

It's not even the school, it's practically law here regardless of the school division. It's actually a challenge here for teachers to fail a student because of all the stuff they have to hop through to do it.