Author Topic: German and Japanese war machines question  (Read 381 times)

Not automatons or anything mechanical, I mean the active military of both nations. We know from WW1 and WW2 they were both effective fighting forces, enough so that the US has special operations put in place to reactivate both nation's military in case of conflict with the Soviet Union. A little crash course, the Japanese military was heavily dissolved by their own government (not under US conditions) until the JSDF was established in 1954. The German military was dissolved and the state governed by allied forces up until 1955, until the Bundeswehr was established

My question here is, in the modern day with all our spiffy technology and big guns, would a reactivated Japanese and German military be as effective as its former self?

Considering that there are nuclear weapons in play and international law prevents most conflict, they probably wouldn't even have a chance to mobilize it without authorization from like the UN

Hypothetically, no. If it was a modern day replica of WW2 with the same sides, Germany, Japan and Italy would lose pretty quickly. They have a significant armed force but it's not made for something the scale of a full blown war. It's more defense orientated. Russia, US, China and France all have larger military presence and would most certainly win.

Also they weren't *that* effective in war, they just had really devoted soldiers, especially in Japan's case. Nationalism really motivates people to destroy other cultures. That's probably the main reason Japan made it so far in the war
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:14:32 AM by Perry »

in light of the recent us election, and the president-elect vowing to leave NATO and all that jazz, germany has been showing interest in relying more heavily on themselves for military power if NATO is going to receive less/no support from the US. but i mean the thing that made the german army so good was its generals, extreme patriotism, and advanced technologies. germanies power isnt quite as significant anymore, so i dont think they could (or WOULD) become the militaristic powerhouse they were during WWI-WWII. also isnt there still that treaty in place that prevents germany from building up its own military or am i really wrong?

in terms of japan, yeah they could potentially have a big and efficient military, but they would pale in comparison to their close neighbors, china and russia

when i think of ww1 german army, i think of chemical warfare. i doubt soldiers today readily have a gas mask, so chlorine gas would probably destroy them.

the japanese military was actually very, very lackluster in ww2

even in the midst of the great depression, the US was still more financially, industrially, and militarily capable of waging war than japan. its numbers may have been large but a supreme lack of disconnect between its branches (a combination of several factors like aging leadership and stagnant military tradition) was its true achilles heel. japan was the first asian country to westernize, so its military was definitely better than that of its neighbors like china and korea (the latter of which japan annexed), but it was still far behind those that existed across the pacific or in europe. japan's lack of resources and industry meant armored units were basically impossible to sustain, and planes were made a rare commodity after the american embargo, so japan's only real saving grace was its navy (which was fairly outdated) and its millions of captured weapons, to which the jingoistic empire used to terrifying effect in battles like iwo jima.

one thing that remains constant between the empire of japan and the japan today is that they simply don't have the resources, economy, or industrial capacity to sustain a protracted conflict. the empire of japan was capable of doing what they did because of an intense campaign of indoctrination and exploitation at home and abroad. japan today cannot do either of those things.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 01:25:55 PM by Jairo »

when i think of ww1 german army, i think of chemical warfare. i doubt soldiers today readily have a gas mask, so chlorine gas would probably destroy them.
it only takes one gas attack before they deploy gas masks en masse