Author Topic: PSA: the addon "grymod hud" for garry's mod contains malware  (Read 2897 times)

the developer of grymod hud for garry's mod hid a botnet inside the addon that is very hard to remove. even after unsubscribing from the addon it sticks with the host.

as of right now nobody has came up with a solution for getting rid of it. someone said that verifying the game cache after unsubbing worked but i highly doubt that

the developer couldve taken it out in the time since the mod was last updated (march 31st) but that chance isnt worth taking
in short: dont install this piece of stuff if you value your pc.

I find this very similar to the Okiver incident back in 2012 where he rigged the add-ons he posted with RATS.

I took a look at the code.

there's a function still in the code that ran on april fools 2016 which seems to have been designed to mess up your screen for 4 seconds while outputting "VIRUS DETECTED, DELETE STEAM". there's no code in the add-on to suggest that your game can receive and execute commands from some server, and the april fools joke doesn't execute unless your computer is on the exact date of 04/01/2016 (it's not coded to repeat annually).

gLua (scripting language that GMod uses) can only access GMod's game folder; it is impossible for gLua to run executable files, the most destructive thing that gLua code can do is have GMod delete all its files/folders -- all of this similar to Blockland.

I can assure you that an add-on that hasn't been updated since april 2016 would not be up on the workshop for more than a week at tops if it had committed a malicious update like the one you haven't actually described at all.

woah dude thanks for the fast response only took a little over a year/10 months