NEWS - Republicans are attempting to pass a bill an extreme anti-protest bill

Author Topic: NEWS - Republicans are attempting to pass a bill an extreme anti-protest bill  (Read 12632 times)

Story here.
Summary for people that don't want to follow the link:
Code: [Select]
The Indiana state legislature is considering an authoritarian bill that would essentially allow police to kill protesters with zero accountability.

Republican senator Jim Tomes introduced Senate Bill 285 in January, though it was given its first committee hearing on Wednesday. The bill authorizes city officials to use “any means necessary” to break up a group of 10 or more protesters blocking traffic, “even to the point of costing lives.”

“A responsible public official shall, not later than 15 minutes after learning of a mass traffic obstruction in the official’s jurisdiction, dispatch all available law enforcement officers … with directions to use any means necessary to clear the roads of the persons unlawfully obstructing vehicular traffic,” the legislation reads.

This is highly unconstitutional and will most likely be thrown out of the government before it can get off the ground, but it's a bad sign of things to come. I'm not a liberal, but holy stuff, it ain't looking good.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:59:12 PM by Rabbot32 »

what a republican thing to do

>tfw you realize democrats were playing 4D chess with their george soros-funded protestors and now can take their war against free speech to the next level

This bill would make much more sense if it were to be anti-rioters, also if this is only targeting protesters that take things to the extreme (I.E: Blocking roads and highways for hours, blocking people from entering places and attacking them when attempted to bypass) then I'd support it.

I read about this a bit more and I completely support it.

Also this is not unconstitutional. If it was then they'd be trying to pass a bill that completely disallows protests entirely. This bill is only meant to disperse protests that negatively affect everyone as in road / highway blocking and such, thus it isn't unconstitutional.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:13:13 AM by Insert Name Here² »

Protesters riot in cities, companies have to shut down in those areas, companies lose money, companies sponsor extreme anti-protest bills. If these communists and phony anarchists keep rioting like this, bills like this might actually pass.

mass-blocking federal highways is a criminal offense.

pretty sure in most cases police/SWAT can simply use crowd dispersal weapons such as microwave guns/sound blasters to clear it out without killing anyone.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:10:42 AM by Planr »

pretty sure in most cases police/SWAT can simply use crowd dispersal weapons such as microwave guns/sound blasters to clear it out without killing anyone.
Exactly, they can. But this bill seems to ambiguously allow police to use lethal force when dispersing crowds.

I don't think unleashing Kent State on crowds of unarmed protesters should be legal.

What's funny is that Obama signed a very similar bill that was responsible for hundreds of inaugural protesters being arrested and having the potential to face years in prison.

Exactly, they can. But this bill seems to ambiguously allow police to use lethal force when dispersing crowds.

I don't think unleashing Kent State on crowds of unarmed protesters should be legal.
they better clarify it then i guess if they want to increase its chances of getting passed. dems would for sure never get behind a bill allowing lethal force against unlawful protesters.

the legal, occupational and departmental consequences of killing people in these types of situations is just tremendous
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:17:39 AM by Planr »

dems would for sure never get behind a bill allowing legal force against unlawful protesters.
That's literally not what's being disputed at all. There are already laws allowing police to forcefully disperse crowds.

Well I don't particularly value the lives of those who have nothing better to do than block interstate commerce. So yeah, guess I picked the right party. (As far as major parties go, anyway. In reality they're all stuff.)

oops did i say legal i meant lethal lol

Well I don't particularly value the lives of those who have nothing better to do than block interstate commerce.
for real?

dems would for sure never get behind a bill allowing lethal force against unlawful protesters.

I loving wonder why. Are you all mental or just edgy?

Also I'm fairly sure this won't pass. The majority of the state congress here is fairly sane and it's a pretty republican thing to not want to make everyone distrust the police force even moreso.