Author Topic: Making a new evolution simulator.  (Read 3052 times)

Open images in new tab to see larger version.
Video link.

Unlike last time when it was stationary squares for cells, this is a physics based simulation. So now creatures can have different bodies with parts they can move. I'll post an update when I actually have evolutionary progress to show.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:14:26 AM by DrenDran »

This is actually a really roundabout way to bugtest your physics engine. Whatever creature you make will evolve to exploit any flaw in the system for its advantage.

Looks really fun, like Gene Pool but with more detailed cells.
Sweet video too. I'm very curious what long-term evolution in your sim could give way to.

Cool. Can you make it run faster to speed up the evolution process? It looks like they are moving kinda slow.

What program are you using?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:09:51 AM by Farad »

Cool. Can you make it run faster to speed up the evolution process? It looks like they are moving kinda slow.

What program are you using?
from his other video, he's using c++ with opengl, sdl and box2d.

i'd love to see these little monsters battle it out to the death.

Are you using a steady-state genetic algorithm approach? Some other heuristic approach, a different EA?

What sort of crossover (edge recombination) and are you using mutation as well?

How are you performing fitness evaluation on a given set of candidate solutions?

How are you performing fitness evaluation on a given set of candidate solutions?
No fitness function. Those that breed the most will spread their genes the most.
What sort of crossover (edge recombination) and are you using mutation as well?
There will be both loveual and aloveual reproduction.
For the aloveual reproduction there's a few major different types of mutation:
  • Deletion of segments
  • Duplication of segments
  • Insertion of random data
  • Changing of individual values
Are you using a steady-state genetic algorithm approach? Some other heuristic approach, a different EA?
There's no generations per-se since as above the creatures simply reproduce when their code tells them to.

This is actually a really roundabout way to bugtest your physics engine. Whatever creature you make will evolve to exploit any flaw in the system for its advantage.

simulated evolution is also potentially how self-improving ai could become dangerous

New video's up.

Evolution can actually happen now, I'll post an update with any interesting evolution tomorrow.

this is dope. looks fun to play around with.

>MFW they all evolve into giant Swastikas

The weak should fear the strong

when this gets released i might make like a really long video of it just recording the whole thing for maybe 8 hours. possibly 24? who knows.

>MFW they all evolve into giant Swastikas

The weak should fear the strong
but then why are the jews taking over

Done with my optimizations. After class I'll add fighting and post a new video maybe. Maybe I'll just post gifs for the smaller updates.