Author Topic: if a closed game had a free offline singleplayer version, is it abandonware?  (Read 1139 times)

/title
basically if a game like need for speed world was closed by EA, but people made an offline singleplayer version for free, is it abandonware?
if not, what is it considered
would it be an emulator?

More than likely EA would still send a CD order if it was something that went remotely big. They'd want people to purchase a copy even if it's toast.

only they closed their servers, thus disabling any way to use the game
plus they said themselves they would be discontinuing it
also need for speed world was a free game

Probably not the best place to ask considering Bspots policy on pirating. I'd check in with abandonware forums and maybe reddit as well.

it's not piracy, that's for sure. EA is not losing any money when you play a game offline that they shut down.
abandonware is software that is ignored by its manufacturer, and is no longer being supported. the property still may be under copyright but they're not enforcing it on the product.
if you're afraid of prosecution, don't be. if you're afraid of making a topic on here, don't worry, you'll be fine. it's not a private server, it's not piracy, it's abandonware.

I could see the devs getting in trouble for using EA assets but i doubt anything would happen to the people that played it

Where is this? I would love it

It's okay though, Need for Speed World was trash.

It's okay though, Need for Speed World was trash.
it was okay until they removed the freeroam wanted levels

video games only become abandonware after 15 years of abandonment by the game's company. official copyright law iirc.

video games only become abandonware after 15 years of abandonment by the game's company. official copyright law iirc.
something is effectively abandonware if the copyright holder isn't enforcing violations. ofc they have the right to do so for as long as their copyright lasts (which is a lot longer than 15 years)