Help me build a PC

Author Topic: Help me build a PC  (Read 629 times)

So I decided I'll try the BLF for some help on my part list and whether I should make any changes before I order them. Budget really is 650 USD but I ran over and I'm wondering where I can cut costs and if there's any better moves I could make for this.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($124.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.93 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($83.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($94.41 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 480 4GB Dual Video Card  ($204.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $708.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-08 19:04 EST-0500
Thanks in advance

Please don't buy a FX processor... At least yet. Even a Pentium G4560 will be much better than the 8320. Maybe even wait for Zen so you can get a better deal on an Intel CPU or if you can save up a bit more cash get a higher end Ryzen CPU.

I don't suggest going with AMD cpu's at the time, intel chips of the same price can out-perform them by quite a bit and the AM3 / AM3+ socket is pretty dated. If you're going to go with AMD cpus, wait until Ryzen gets released. Plus LGA 1151 boards are at least 20 dollars less for the same features iirc, same for the ddr4 ram, which does have better performance and clock

Also cut the case and go with the Corsair Carbide 100R, it's a great price and a very good ATX mid-tower. Also be sure to switch out the PSU to a 500w bronze or better for what you're going with.

Other than that, it's pretty good
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 06:13:08 PM by Insert Name Here² »

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zhct4C
changed cpu to pentium G4650 (really great budget cpu, only a little over 60 dollars and it works well with something like your rx 480)
changed motherboard to one with an h270 chipset (good $100 mobo for kaby lake cpus)
downgraded memory to 8gb (8gb should be fine for you, dont see why you need 16gb)
added an ssd (gives a massive performance boost)
changed psu to an evga supernova 650 (a bit on the expensive side, but its gold certified, is modular so you dont have a bunch of useless cables sitting in your case, and gives you quite some headroom if you ever upgrade your pc. also i use a supernova 650 in my own pc and it gets the job done)
added a copy of windows from kinguin, with price of the buyer protection added in (you'll need an os of course, and kinguin sells them for cheap, the buyer protection protects you in case the windows key you get becomes a bad key)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:01:19 PM by Mr Queeba »