Author Topic: Life, the universe, and beyond  (Read 2845 times)

Everyday while I'm doing some random activity, I remember that we're all just living on a giant sphere, floating in an unexplored universe that's expanding by the second. We have no clue why we are really here, and not one of us really actually knows the reason or has a means of finding that reason. We all settle for ideas, theories, and myths that half heartedly answer these questions, then purposefully push it all to the back of our minds because it is too much to even start thinking about. We divide ourselves up and try to establish superiority but not one of us has a real answer to it. It's just a matter of the loudest voice gets to be the leader. The dude with the biggest stick wins and we listen to whoever is holding it. All the thoughts, emotions, memories that you have EVER had are all fit neat and tightly in a ~1200 cubic centimeter organ called the brain. The complexities of the activities we do are all a series of reactions in this brain and throughout the body, but in the end that's all they are, reactions. Does anyone else ever think of this, or has everyone just settled on not wanting to know?

What are your ideas on the big questions of life forums? Are we here for a reason? Do we have souls? Or are we all just here as some kind of forgeted up science experiment?

It seems that the more we know, the more lost we become.

I dont think we're here for a specific reason but it doesnt make me sad at all knowing that

As for souls, I have no idea but i lean towards no

If you wanna get forgeted up listen to the Architects album All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us and realize it was written by the guitarist who died from cancer and it'll make ya think a lot

IMO, we're not here for a reason, we don't have souls and we don't 'go somewhere' when we die

Life is a bitch but most of us have pretty cushy lives compared to other animals

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imaginations, we learned to talk.
-Stephen Hawking
It's all so mysterious to me. Why us? Was it truly and fully spontaneous? Are there limitations on the human mind and senses that don't allow us to see the bigger picture?

time to quick ruin:
Proved by S C I E N C E someday the dark energy will either run out and the entier universe will crunch into a black hole or the dark energy will stay the same or get higher and everything will go as fast as light and the universe cannot create matter.

time to quick ruin:
Proved by S C I E N C E someday the dark energy will either run out and the entier universe will crunch into a black hole or the dark energy will stay the same or get higher and everything will go as fast as light and the universe cannot create matter.
what do you mean by quick ruin? This doesn't really explain anything about what I'm pondering on. also nothing is really "proven" in science, it's all just supported or not supported.

It's all so mysterious to me. Why us? Was it truly and fully spontaneous?
What, the acquisition of speech or abstract thinking? Hawking is being misleading with that quote. Neither were instantaneous in fact.

What, the acquisition of speech or abstract thinking? Hawking is being misleading with that quote. Neither were instantaneous in fact.
not the quote itself just the whole ultimate theory.

raptors could of been smarter than us

but they kinda got decimated.

not the quote itself just the whole ultimate theory.
ahh yes, it is a really big thing to wonder about. is there a larger scheme we are involved in? difficult to answer.
always good to keep a curious attitude. we are a young species, there is a lot for us to learn. we've come a long way already, we know a lot about life and the universe. but we must keep pushing on.

difficult to answer.
Impossible to answer and likely always will be

ahh yes, it is a really big thing to wonder about. is there a larger scheme we are involved in? difficult to answer.
always good to keep a curious attitude. we are a young species, there is a lot for us to learn. we've come a long way already, we know a lot about life and the universe. but we must keep pushing on.
Its so crazy because for each question that is answered another two are brought up. It's why people hate talking about this kind of thing.

I bet when we die, we'll just wake up in a bed like nothing happened.
I think we used to be some animal and then evolved into humans and I don't think we really have a set path. 

we were made to eat, reproduce, and die, just like all other life forms on earth