Why do people think it's okay to break rules?

Author Topic: Why do people think it's okay to break rules?  (Read 2991 times)

I literally just got out of the shower and checked my pc and found this.

This is OBVIOUSLY not the first time something like this has happened.
I have clear, strict rules, and people just slide by them spawning weapons and shooting everyone.
Stuff like this makes me want to quit hosting altogether.

/discuss

Because it's fun to do something you're not supposed to. Telling someone not to do something will trigger happyness when they do exactly what they shouldn't.

It could also be because the server's getting very boring and they're trying to improvise

Let's see... There are those who enjoy utterly breaking rules, and those who just don't care.

By skipping a bunch of needless exposition, there are a lot of people who break rules for a variety of reasons, so discussing it kinda makes the sort of topic redundant.

How to deal with the issue, is an entirely simpler matter.

1. Follow your rules down to the letter. Warn a person if they do happen to break rules on occasion, but ban them if they break them too many times. Too lenient, and you become a doormat.
2. Keep evidence so that you can cover your ass. Trolls are known to throw temper tantrums.
3. Don't be afraid to ban people. You can hate it, but hesitating only refers back to the end of rule 1.
4. Give rule breakers only one second chance if they wish to mend their ways from a ban. No more.

NOEDIT:

TL;DR,

This is just an example of how I run my server. How you run your server is really up to you

But I /support all the way. It would be nice if a lot less people on BL would be less inclined to break rules.

I mean, the whole "no spawning weapons" rule is ridiculous, but thats besides the point.

I think it stems from a place of boredom IRL, they get on BL and start trolling cause it adds amusement to their otherwise boring life.

Agreed, over the summer I spent a lot of time creating a self-contained setting where players could RP with each other or do quests given by bots. But a lot of players for some reason were bent on finding exploits and ways of escape, and some actually got mad when the barriers respawned them or I kicked them. It's weird. There's a subset of the community just interested in causing trouble for no reason. This happens on the forum too. They're just toxic and petty.

I mean, the whole "no spawning weapons" rule is ridiculous, but thats besides the point.

I think it stems from a place of boredom IRL, they get on BL and start trolling cause it adds amusement to their otherwise boring life.
"No spawning weapons" is actually quite a useful rule on a roleplay server.
It's very common that people join, spawn a weapon and just go crazy with it, failing to roleplay and ruining other peoples roleplaying.

When I used to host various RPs we would always run with a default minigame on, with no wrench. People could build their own houses and if they proved they were here to roleplay by participating then they could ask for one. Otherwise if they wanted a weapon they would have to successfully roleplay into getting one, often by 'enlisting' as a deputy or soldier or w/e was applicable to the RP, and being given the item by an admin rp'ing as a higherup. 

Because they think it's funny or they do it out of boredom, but what I don't get is, if they're bored why don't they leave the server and join another one.

But a lot of players for some reason were bent on finding exploits and ways of escape

To be fair, I do this to every game more or less. If it can be broken, try to break it so that someone notices and it gets fixed. It's an exercise in testing.

To be fair, I do this to every game more or less. If it can be broken, try to break it so that someone notices and it gets fixed. It's an exercise in testing.

Sorry, but are you about to call exploiting "unexpected testing"? If something has an obscure way of being done and seems out-of-place, chances are the developer doesn't want you or anyone to perform that action. Unless the game in question is built around obscure methods.

And by "breaking it until someone notices" results in someone noticing. That someone being, trolls. Since you're pretty much expanding the wound sufficiently enough to be noticed, you allow people of malicious intent to pour all the salt they can into the wound.

Most developers are humans. And most humans are not omnipresent, nor are they Big Brother. And lest not we forget that the person who notices the exploit is usually not someone with the ability to fix it.

Instead of exposing the hole to everyone, which is conceived as an open invitation for exploit to most people, try talking about it directly to the owner or someone from the admin team. Not saying anything leads to your testing, good intentioned or not, be used for bad intentions and getting punished by the administration if spotted, since you never said anything about it so that they wouldn't notice.

its loving funny on rp servers to go on a runaway from the admins

That's ok if the admin/developer asks you to look for weaknesses. If you simply join a server and go straight to looking for faults it's kind of annoying. But eh, if you quietly tell the admin when you find one then no harm is done.

When I used to host various RPs we would always run with a default minigame on, with no wrench. People could build their own houses and if they proved they were here to roleplay by participating then they could ask for one. Otherwise if they wanted a weapon they would have to successfully roleplay into getting one, often by 'enlisting' as a deputy or soldier or w/e was applicable to the RP, and being given the item by an admin rp'ing as a higherup. 
This is actually a good idea