The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Discussion [🦆: wuts poppin 🅱️?]

Poll

link's feminine penis

good
8 (36.4%)
I'm not gay, but............. good
14 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Discussion [🦆: wuts poppin 🅱️?]  (Read 42666 times)

rito village theme is similar to dragon roost island

how the forget did this game got a 7.5 user score on metacritic

trolls spammed it with 0 score reviews to pull it down

we shant speak his name here, otherwise we summon him.

trolls spammed it with 0 score reviews to pull it down

"people who disagree with me must be trolls"

I wish metacritic somehow required you to own the game first before reviewing it like how Steam does. Maybe you have to link your Nintendo/steam/XBL/etc accounts to it to verify?

no correlation
"Be wary of people giving this game a high score. They just might be trying to sell you on something.

Things it did right:
+ Huge world with lots of little details, probably where Nintendo spent most of their time in development
+ The go-anywhere-and-possibly-be-undergeared motif of LoZ1 was translated to a 3D game alright enough
+ Made the mastersword rely on heart containers to acquire it, much like the White Sword or Magical Sword from LoZ1. Probably the only specific callback to LoZ1 that translated "perfectly".

Things it tried:
• Redesigned many characters, going as far as never giving Link a hat in promotional art and changing his iconic color from green to blue, or Ganon who is now a demon spider instead of a pig, only a pig in spirit. Moblins were turned into weird long snouted lanky unicorn pigmonsters, Hinox were turned into somewhat-more-generic Giants losing their iconic(?) Bomb-throwing attacks.
• Tried voice acting but traded player-freedom of naming their character so spoken lines could needlessly refer to you as "Link".
• The go-anywhere-model of LoZ1 lost almost all likeness to most other Zelda games because of the way it was implemented. In order to go anywhere and do anything from the start of the game, the player unfortunately gets all their tools at the start of the game so no proper dungeons with proper treasures or item equipment that would otherwise lock one player from accessing things another player could gated via game progress- which also isn't necessarily even "true" to how LoZ1 accomplished it.

Things it did wrong:
- Traded the sweeping and catchy good music of traditional Zelda design even going as far back as the original LoZ1 for lighter, emptier, less-frequent ambient sounds to adapt to the world's environment of "musical" cues and reliance on things like stealth. As an original game this might have worked, but the tradeoff meaning no great "Zelda music" as many expect from the franchise doesn't work to a benefit. The weaker audio design fits their game design, but the weaker audio design of their game design doesn't fit "Zelda".
- From a series known for streamlined access to health replenishment via bottles full of potions and frequent floating hearts, placing all healing behind food collection and menu access gets in the way of player intention within the world and only serves to distract the player or otherwise pad the adventure with unnecessary filler. Trivial for a series that virtually invented the concept behind the Estus Flask from the Souls games. Such an estus-flask-like method of healing would have more accurately emulated the streamlined healing of past Zelda games while still allowing them to get away from hearts in bushes and pots.
- Related to food collection, the game design around killing simple non-zelda scenery animals unrelated to the variety of Zelda enemies for various Raw Meat items is woefully unnecessary and out-of-place for any Zelda game much less any Nintendo game. This concept was so poorly implemented to even include killing foxes and wolves for meat, in our modern society where both have been domesticated as pets or otherwise crossbred with domestic dogs to produce canines that look identical to their wild counterparts. Whether the player has the intent or not to harm them, they can be killed by enemies anyway. "Eating dog meat" is a gut-wrenching phrase I never imagined would describe an action in any videogame much less one from Nintendo, and has forever irreparably damaged my otherwise flawless opinion of the franchise and its creators.
- No actual sprawling dungeons from a series known for it's sprawling dungeons is a weakpoint. The shrines, although numerous and fairly uniquely designed in terms of their puzzles, unfortunately still manage to all look identical and don't offer the same expected gameplay layout or scenic/regional design as cohesive interconnected hallways and rooms from traditional dungeons in other Zelda games. Even the four Divine Beasts operate more like "slightly larger shrines" than something remotely close to being considered a true "dungeon", with Hyrule Castle being the only "true" dungeon.
- Enemy variety compared to past Zelda games and even many modern games is staggeringly low. All enemies and bosses counted, there are only 23 different monsters that are copied-pasted-and-recolored or given a slightly different weapon or elemental attribute to create the majority of Breath of the Wild's "variety". Even going back to Ocarina of Time, there were 46 unique enemies and bosses counted together, not including recolored or reskinned variations; and of course each mainline Zelda game since Ocarina and before Breath of the Wild has had virtually the same variety if not more. There are actually more background scenery animal species in this game than unique enemies, meaning the only true visual variety that exists is in the scenery itself - a negative only because enemy combat is a necessity. "

Definitely a troll man.

-snip-

Definitely a troll man.
You know damn well that this isn't what he's talking about lol

You know damn well that this isn't what he's talking about lol

Pretty sure you HAVE to review a game on Metacritic before you can rate it

I really wish it told you the properties of food items when you're looking at them in the inventory. I hope they at least do some kind of Quality of life update? Having two different menus is kinda dumb, would much rather have it all in the tablet. Is it supposed to be the difference between real life and the tablet? I still don't like it. too much clutter. Along with cooked food's price being seemingly ambiguous (making it hard to judge how much you're going to get in rupees from ingredients). Really good game though, not anywhere near done. 9/10.

It's pretty expected for a game like this to get barraged by a bunch of 0's in the user score. Doesn't mean every negative/mixed review is an attempt to bring down the score, because many of those are peoples actual thoughts.
Pretty sure you HAVE to review a game on Metacritic before you can rate it
I believe so, but there's nothing to stop somebody from making an effortless review that's a sentence long.

- Related to food collection, the game design around killing simple non-zelda scenery animals unrelated to the variety of Zelda enemies for various Raw Meat items is woefully unnecessary and out-of-place for any Zelda game much less any Nintendo game. This concept was so poorly implemented to even include killing foxes and wolves for meat, in our modern society where both have been domesticated as pets or otherwise crossbred with domestic dogs to produce canines that look identical to their wild counterparts. Whether the player has the intent or not to harm them, they can be killed by enemies anyway. "Eating dog meat" is a gut-wrenching phrase I never imagined would describe an action in any videogame much less one from Nintendo, and has forever irreparably damaged my otherwise flawless opinion of the franchise and its creators.
I don't own the game yet but I feel like this point is kind of weird. I can kind of see what you're saying - I would assume you would've rather had Link shooting arrows at fantasy creatures as opposed to, like, bunnies? I suppose that would make more sense considering the vast amount of creature lore Link games have, but from a bystander point of view,  I feel like the creators really wanted this version of Link to be kind of the type of guy who'll use any resources he can to survive. Plenty of survival-esque games have you hunting foxes and such to manage your food supply. I think this isn't a thing the game did wrong objectively, rather, it's something you're just not comfortable seeing. I guess I can also see where you're coming from in that generally survival games are T - M rated whilst this is E10+, but I still feel like this particular point you offer is does not quite work, at least for me.

besides, wild wolves will literally kill you if you dont kill them or run away first.
and why run away? they drop extremely good meat which replenishes a bunch of hearts.
and for the record, theres no ''fox meat'' or ''wolf meat'', its all just called ''meat'' or slight variations depending on the size. (which there are 3 of)
well, now we know why the user score is so low
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 09:13:16 PM by crazies alt »

I don't own the game yet but I feel like this point is kind of weird. I can kind of see what you're saying - I would assume you would've rather had Link shooting arrows at fantasy creatures as opposed to, like, bunnies? I suppose that would make more sense considering the vast amount of creature lore Link games have, but from a bystander point of view,  I feel like the creators really wanted this version of Link to be kind of the type of guy who'll use any resources he can to survive. Plenty of survival-esque games have you hunting foxes and such to manage your food supply. I think this isn't a thing the game did wrong objectively, rather, it's something you're just not comfortable seeing. I guess I can also see where you're coming from in that generally survival games are T - M rated whilst this is E10+, but I still feel like this particular point you offer is does not quite work, at least for me.

Never said I agree'd with it. Just that it's a different opinion and not a troll

Never said I agree'd with it. Just that it's a different opinion and not a troll
Ah, I was particularly iffy because it didn't seem like something you'd say yourself