Vehicles or No Vehicles TDMs

Poll

Do you like having Vehicles in TDM servers?

Yes
10 (71.4%)
No
4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Vehicles or No Vehicles TDMs  (Read 1635 times)

Im torn between making a TDM map recently and Im wondering if I should go for one thats smaller without vehicles or something big and battlefield esque with some vehicles to drive around with a larger space, and of course since I tend to hate just TDM modes I'd put objectives in to like capture points or flags.

Just wondering what you guys think of vehicles in TDM servers, do you love them or hate them? Think we need more or less vehicle based TDMs?

Personally I do like vehicle TDMs but I find them and wish we had more than just dogfight servers but for me they can be a bit tricky to create, but just wondering what you guys think of em.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:09:20 PM by Frostbyte »

i do like me some vehicle tdms! but personally i think if u do go with that u should try to not make the map too big so u absolutely need to have a vehicle to get around unless u wanna walk for 10 minutes cus that could get a lil boring

keep in mind that blockland's vehicle physics is very buggy and you can easily drive straight through a wall

keep in mind that blockland's vehicle physics is very buggy and you can easily drive straight through a wall
what are killzones

Vehicles are nice but the map really has to be built for them, and there has to be accessible weapons that can counter the vehicles. Maps with jets have to be large, maps with land vehicles need to have wide open corridors that vehicles can get through easily

That being said if you add vehicles, don't force the players to rely on them, since they are so unreliable. Nobody wants to walk to an outpost for 5 billion years because 3 people on their team are currently driving the only 3 available 50-seat APCs, and then get shot dead and have to do it again. Build your map as if everyone playing it is running it on a stuff computer and has the view distance all the way down

For that to work you need a big landscape which vehicles are necessary for the players to reach their destination faster.

Wasn't there a few mods that fixed the physics a bit?

It's funny you mention this, as I had my go and making a vehicle DM map a short while ago: https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=307149.msg9421761#msg9421761

(It's the second map). The idea was that it'd be a sort of tank-style deathmatch map. Admittedly it's a bit too small now that I look at it but it's nice to see someone else wondering if this would be possible/wanted as well.

I'd love a vehicle TDM map/server. Something like a Capture the Flag or maybe a Cops and Robbers style game mode would be cool (the Cops would win if they blew up and killed the robber, the robber would win if they could make it to the safe zone at the other side of the map).

it really depends on what vehicles are used. most of the fighty vehicles in BL are made for large, expansive maps, which are unfriendly to walking

that said if you're gonna use some smaller, more wieldy vehicles like the jeep or stunt plane i think vehicles could work with a smaller map too

I made a giant map once (Woke Island if anyone remembers). The key is to make it fair. A big balance thing I did was place stationary lock-on missile launchers at certain points, because if someone is good in a jet they are practically unkillable by any other means.

it really depends on what vehicles are used. most of the fighty vehicles in BL are made for large, expansive maps, which are unfriendly to walking

that said if you're gonna use some smaller, more wieldy vehicles like the jeep or stunt plane i think vehicles could work with a smaller map too
Definitely agree with this, alternately you could have vehicles on some maps if you decide to change maps

So I'm guessing the main issue is just having to deal with walking yeah? I've seen people uses Skis to get around that, would faster playertypes work then too?

That and I'd need to make sure theres enough vehicles to use because lord knows vehciles in tdms Ive played get taken by one guy with the rest of the team running after him.

I like me a good TDM with Kaje's sniper rifle, parachutes, stunt planes, and default tanks. Capturing control points even better. Always loved Heedicalking, LegoPepper, and The Brighter Dark's servers.

So I'm guessing the main issue is just having to deal with walking yeah? I've seen people uses Skis to get around that, would faster playertypes work then too?

That and I'd need to make sure theres enough vehicles to use because lord knows vehciles in tdms Ive played get taken by one guy with the rest of the team running after him.
Less vehicles, less ground to cover, etc is a better solution.

Make vehicles a convenience, not a must.