WHY Badspot finds it hard to make updates for Blockland (chill, community)

Author Topic: WHY Badspot finds it hard to make updates for Blockland (chill, community)  (Read 5677 times)

he should do the thing where the community runs the game type of thing

but muh $20
might have well spent it on 80 gumballs...............

when is age of time getting an update
aot??????????????????????????

And The Forgettable Dungeon
That's rontondo
aot??????????????????????????
soon(tm)

soon (tm) is a registered trademark of never, inc.

That's rontondo
I know, but i'm also curious about the development of his game

I know, but i'm also curious about the development of his game
join the mostly inactive discord or follow updates on steam/kickstarter

rotondo is currently suffering through repetitive stress injury so hes only able to work an hour or two a day comfortably, apparently. any more and he'll develop pains that don't go away in a timely manner

Honestly, I don't mind an update like the next guy. But I'm happy that Badspot isn't selling the franchise to an official business. I say this, because ever since Minecraft was officially bought by Microsoft, the game started to seriously suck really bad. It just wasn't the same anymore, I don't want blockland to change too much for this reason.

Like I said before, updates would be awesome as usual, but it's easy to be content when people of the community make some really sick servers. (The problem is when those servers shut down it really sucks for the rest of us.)

Honestly, I don't mind an update like the next guy. But I'm happy that Badspot isn't selling the franchise to an official business. I say this, because ever since Minecraft was officially bought by Microsoft, the game started to seriously suck really bad. It just wasn't the same anymore, I don't want blockland to change too much for this reason.
It's not like Blockland would be sold to a big company like Microsoft or something, i doubt any of those companies would want such a small and insignificant game like Blockland

Minecraft was already huge when it was given over to Microsoft, so that's understandable, but Blockland only has some early hundreds of players a day

Blockland would have to be given off to a trusted friend, but with Rotondo busy with his own things, that leaves Kompressor, and who knows what he's got going on these days

I can't even think of any community members that would be able to take over development, it'd have to be some huge collaboration of people to do different tasks, or some kind of open source development thing where changes people want to make have to be inspected and approved by trust worthy people

But even that can be chaotic and messy

But even that can be chaotic and messy

might*

I believe the [blockland] modding community(conan, port, zeblote...) is mature enough to handle that itself.

I just imagine that there would be some questionable decisions, conflicting ideas, or some sort of attempt at sabotage from a contributor turned malicious

But i guess that's where there would have to be some kind of screening process and a list of who is or isn't trusted

Also, Greek2Me could be a good addition to that team

The problem would be models, everyone's got their own style, so having multiple modelers (if needed) could also be an issue unless they all try to mimic Blockland's simplistic and not-so-detailed stye
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:49:27 PM by Masterlegodude »

I just imagine that there would be some questionable decisions, conflicting ideas, or some sort of attempt at sabotage from a contributor turned malicious

But i guess that's where there would have to be some kind of screening process and a list of who is or isn't trusted

Also, Greek2Me could be a good addition to that team

The problem would be models, everyone's got their own style, so having multiple modelers (if needed) could also be an issue unless they all try to mimic Blockland's simplistic and not-so-detailed stye
honestly from the uh official side of things it would be less content and much more just fixing engine stuff/adding functionality. port is by far the most experienced regarding these things in terms of engine + source code + problems with anything, and is able to make relatively good long term decisions regarding fixing certain bugs or adding content in general. the only problem would be how trustworthy he is not to get influenced by other members of the community.

Zeblote is also somewhere close to port in terms of knowledge of the engine i think, but i don't talk to him regularly so i wouldnt know for sure. he's also more prone to making polarizing decisions regarding engine changes and stuff since he feels strongly in his idea of direction the game should take.

Or maybe the game is finished.

There is no point in updating on an outdated engine anymore.

Now if Badspot were making Blockland 2, then I'd gladly move over to that game.

Or maybe the game is finished.

There is no point in updating on an outdated engine anymore.
There's always fixes and improvements to be made to help the game run better, be more convenient, help expand the possibilities of what content creators can make, and even make the Steam version more friendly toward the Steam users that we've been getting but then losing after 5 minutes because the game is so bland them and there's no indication that there's a collection of add-ons and such or in-game links to tutorials on creating add-ons, doing cool things with events, building things that do fun stuff, etc

Now if Badspot were making Blockland 2

that leaves Kompressor, and who knows what he's got going on these days
i'm pretty sure he's off taking over the world or something