Author Topic: Qualities of a good server host  (Read 2972 times)

Don't really see the point of the rules mod. If someone is going to break the rules they'll just do it. The prompt preventing you from spawning isn't stopping anything.

i say its more for people who try to get out of the rules on a technicality

its like a legal disclaimer if you will, one of those "have you read the terms and conditions" sort of thing

its way easier to just make 1 rule thats like "dont be a nerd" or something though

being able to take and accept criticism.

why not just spawn the player AND give them the prompt tho
Do you recall the older rules mods? They would try to just give a messagebox with the rules right as you spawn. Theoretically that would be fine, but the game seems to have a bug where all dialogs get cleared when the playgui is created. And the playgui takes a few moments to create, depending on how fast your computer is. Slower machines take 10 or more seconds to create it. That means if you create the dialog before the playgui is created, they will never see the messagebox.

The other main reason is because it forces people to acknowledge the rules and gives minimal credence to the "I never saw that rule" or "I didn't think that was a rule" excuses that some people tend to make a fuss about. Obviously it doesn't prevent anyone from breaking the rules, it just ensures that every player has read them.

If the rules are easy to find, I don't think it's the host's fault if people don't read the rules.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:39:21 PM by Magus »

I think some important qualities are flexibility (being able to change things when you must), patience (so you can work with as many people as possible and put up with some degree of annoyance), and reliability (so whenever you're needed, you're there for someone, some people, or something).

Sounds like marriage.

I made prison escape great again unlike crooked crown!

this is part of my sig now

as the host always gang up with nuisance players and help them insult and abuse your other players

admins that deal with spambricks correctly

earlier someone joined and used no baseplate, i told them to use one, still wont use one, then i cleared spambricks, they got really really angry at me and spammed everywhere, so i kicked them, the end.

so i kicked them, the end.
I like a host who can recognize and remove bad players before they become a big nuisance.

I remember in the olden days you had to know how to Port Forward to host a server.
Being a host back then garnered you a bit of respect. Some people couldn't host at all, and wanted good servers to hang out in.

Then v14 came out and port forwarding was no longer necessary.  A bunch of newbies got to host for the first time.  ... They kinda sucked at it. ...
I stopped hosting my own server around that time because people stopped showing up.

I'm glad port forwarding isn't needed for most people anymore.  But I wish there was an easy way of telling a good host from a bad host before joining a server.
Maybe some sort of tagging or reputation system or something.  I dunno, reputation systems are difficult to balance. :c

I like a host who can recognize and remove bad players before they become a big nuisance.

I remember in the olden days you had to know how to Port Forward to host a server.
Being a host back then garnered you a bit of respect. Some people couldn't host at all, and wanted good servers to hang out in.

Then v14 came out and port forwarding was no longer necessary.  A bunch of newbies got to host for the first time.  ... They kinda sucked at it. ...
I stopped hosting my own server around that time because people stopped showing up.

I'm glad port forwarding isn't needed for most people anymore.  But I wish there was an easy way of telling a good host from a bad host before joining a server.
Maybe some sort of tagging or reputation system or something.  I dunno, reputation systems are difficult to balance. :c
its pretty easy to tell a server quality just by the host's name and the server title

Then v14 came out and port forwarding was no longer necessary.

Your not entirely wrong, but very few people have to port forward to get there server hosting working correctly.

Knowing the difference between a troll and someone who is causing trouble without realizing it, and telling the latter they're causing trouble and asking them to stop rather than just banning them. (If they keep doing the exact same thing, they deserve a ban because you told them to stop)

Knowing the difference between a troll and someone who is causing trouble without realizing it, and telling the latter they're causing trouble and asking them to stop rather than just banning them. (If they keep doing the exact same thing, they deserve a ban because you told them to stop)
if someone's blatantly causing trouble and knows its causing trouble, im not obligated to tell them to stop. Their own common sense and social skills should have told them to stop. If that didnt stop them then me telling them to stop definitely wont