Author Topic: what questions should I ask at my college interview  (Read 509 times)

I'm sure a lot of you could help, basically this thursday I have an interview for an electrical engineering course at college and the only thing that can possibly get in the way of getting in is messing this interview up somehow. apparently I get a test which is some basic questions and then I'm asked some questions, then I have to ask some back. I really wanna seem interested but I am a bit short on questions

what questions should I ask? maybe word for word questions as well

questions about campus culture

Research some technical stuff and ask that.

come into the interview with sunglasses on and do finger guns as your response for every question they ask
they'll think you're such a rad dude who is not a raging homoloveual and accept your application

Research some technical stuff and ask that.
oh yeah, I should also mention they want me to show I'm interested in the course and I have a lot of electrical stuff to play around with, so I thought maybe I could build something and take some pictures of it working and show them

I'm not sure though, the interviewer might just be an interviewer and not actually know electrical engineering to answer technical questions but if he wants me to show how interested I am then he might
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:01:27 AM by Maxwell. »

Then research not-too-difficult things. Something maybe an average person might have an idea about.

If you actually want to go to this school, ask genuine questions about stuff you're thinking about. Some examples:

How easy is it to get an internship there?
How available are on-campus jobs?
How do most students get around campus?
Is there anything about this school that you think is understated in recruiting material?
Is there something you can say you think the school could do better?

There's no shortcut to this. The interviewer is looking to see that you're genuinely considering going to their school, and they're looking to learn more about who you are as a person.

That last question is particularly valuable. I was choosing between University of Michigan and Northwestern University for their engineering programs, and I asked the Dean of Engineering at NU that while on a campus tour. She explained that their engineering program was growing pretty fast and they didn't hire on enough faculty to compensate, so it might be a bit harder to get into the classes I wanted to. I really appreciated her honesty and I ended up going to UM instead (for a variety of reasons, but that was one of them)

While admissions officers might want to coax you onto their campus, other school staff don't really benefit from having a student who's unhappy with their decision, so if you're going on campus I'd encourage you to talk to a dean.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:31:16 AM by ultimamax »