explain the cultural integration of the confederate battle flag

Author Topic: explain the cultural integration of the confederate battle flag  (Read 5682 times)

i honestly can't rationalize seeing this flag as anything more than an anti-union symbol demanding more autonomy from the fed govt if not outright independence (before we get into the issue of slavery- a weak fed govt would allow them to keep their slaves)

the civil war only lasted four years. the flag never had time to represent anything beyond political goals. considering what those political goals were, i don't see how anyone can consider themselves an american patriot when they have such a flag. and no i'm not taking a moral high ground- i'm referring to the fact that it symbolized armed, unlawful secession from the US. a soviet flag is less unamerican

I see the flag as a historical item kinda like how the conch republic still has their flag even though they aren't a country.

I see the flag as a historical item kinda like how the conch republic still has their flag even though they aren't a country.

the conch republic didn't lead to the deaths of over half a million people, not to mention the conch republic is a harmless running joke

it represents southern and white nationalism. it's flown by handicaps.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN

most people i know see it as a way of protecting state's rights

ya but then you look it up and read that half the states' secession declarations state its because they want their rights to own slaves

lol

you're an idiot. Pretentious stuff like this is why your candidate lost the election/didnt make it out of primaries.

The rebel flag like you assumed is used as a symbol of southern values and general wackyness. We take a weird sort of pride in hold my beer antics. It's a dukes of hazard wild child thing.

This is also a good example. It's sort of a reminder that the government shouldnt be an end all be all say in your every day.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:27:37 AM by Corderlain »

you're an idiot.

The rebel flag like you assumed is used as a symbol of southern values and general wackyness.

what a peculiar institution

This is also a good example. It's sort of a reminder that the government shouldnt be an end all be all say in your every day.
because if they do you'll secede again and lose again

what a peculiar institution

Yeah I won't deny our general weirdness. To be as tacky as possible, it's the YOLO for country folks.

because if they do you'll secede again and lose again

It wouldn't be the south seceding when Republicans control the house and Senate.

I have great respect for the government but if they infringed on my rights and stepped onto my land unwelcome then there would be a conflict.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:34:38 AM by Corderlain »

it represents southern and white nationalism.
*to everyone except the people flying them, apparently

*to everyone except the people flying them, apparently

Never flown one in my life. You're just sheltered and mislead.

Edit: for anyone looking to understand the general Southerners views on government oversight: read gorsuch's latest statement on the bill of rights.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:40:17 AM by Corderlain »

I don't think the people flying the confederate flag think that it represents anything bad, but the Civil War was 100% fought over slavery. The 'states rights' they were fighting over were the right to run their agriculture with slave labor.