Poll

What course would you most like to see first/participate in most?

Modeling and animation
35 (39.8%)
General Scripting
45 (51.1%)
Datablock specific information (state system, emitter/projectile/explosion properties, image limitations, bots, etc)
7 (8%)
Other/Not listed (make a post)
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Add-on Making Academy (Google Classroom details in OP, new poll)  (Read 26347 times)

I only read the title and the topic, but, yes I want to add-on to Blockland. Though, my computer is stuff and most likely can't even run a modeling software

A thousand times yes.

Why not just make a series of videos teaching the basics of torque script?

Why not just make a series of videos teaching the basics of torque script?
then it will be harder especially when getting help

Are you thinking of making a giant post, a discord group, a video series or all of them?

A discord group would be good.

Are you thinking of making a giant post, a discord group, a video series or all of them?
first two atm idk about vids

first two atm idk about vids
I think videos would be good for anything timing based.
But for pretty much everything else I think pictures and text would be better.

I think videos would be good for anything timing based.
But for pretty much everything else I think pictures and text would be better.
id use gifs to handle anything that needs animated visuals and text. what i dislike about videos is theres no good way to find that part you need
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:48:33 PM by Conan »

how many of you are seriously interested in learning how to make mods, enough to put in the time to learn whatever necessary (probably 3 hours a week minimum)? just making this topic to poll the forums if there is any real interest

When you say "make mods", do you mean: how to specifically create a certain Add-On; how to script; how to package an Add-On? All those are closely related, but even though still far away.

I have always enjoyed to help people out, so if you need a helping hand, just give me a heads up and I can see what I can do about it.

When you say "make mods", do you mean: how to specifically create a certain Add-On; how to script; how to package an Add-On? All those are closely related, but even though still far away.

I have always enjoyed to help people out, so if you need a helping hand, just give me a heads up and I can see what I can do about it.
everything really. the idea is to teach basic knowledge on how torquescript works, how to write in torquescript and execute code, and eventually packaging and the like. for the modeling side it will be general modeling + animation, and later formatting the model for dts export + collision layers + nodes + uv mapping + LOD anims and the like

ideally people who dont end up finishing the class still know how to write torquescript in general, even if not knowing how to execute it or use the engine functions to make more complicated mods. it would probably help them greatly when reading up on say, how Projectile::onCollision works, and enable them to at least understand what is going on and maybe give them an idea of how they would do something they want to make
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 03:16:42 PM by Conan »

sorry for bump, but do you still plan to do this? I think a lot of people are interested and would definitely spend the time to do it.

sorry for bump, but do you still plan to do this? I think a lot of people are interested and would definitely spend the time to do it.
definitely. im just not able to start it right now. the current plan is to start it mid may when summer starts for me