Author Topic: Dogfight TDM (WIP) [MORE BUILD UPDATES POSTED PG 2]  (Read 6348 times)

Why did you make elevator spots on the holding deck but no openings on the flight deck for planes to be lifted up from the holding deck?

Why did you make elevator spots on the holding deck but no openings on the flight deck for planes to be lifted up from the holding deck?

This is the TDM version, any moron who joins could spam the switch for a working elevator and forget anyone over trying to raise up a plane.

This is the TDM version, any moron who joins could spam the switch for a working elevator and forget anyone over trying to raise up a plane.
You do realize you can just put some simple events on the switch to prevent it from being spammed. Problem solved

You do realize you can just put some simple events on the switch to prevent it from being spammed. Problem solved

But who's going to keep a troll from pressing it before the plane is all the way onto the platform?

But who's going to keep a troll from pressing it before the plane is all the way onto the platform?

|x| 0   |0|          onActivate > elevatorRaise
|x| 1   |0|          onActivate > setEventEnabled |0,1,2|  | |
|x| 2   |30,000|  onActivate > setEventEnabled |0,1,2|  |x|

|x| 0   |0|          onActivate > elevatorRaise
|x| 1   |0|          onActivate > setEventEnabled |0,1,2|  | |
|x| 2   |30,000|  onActivate > setEventEnabled |0,1,2|  |x|

alternatively, the best non-default event that exists.

i gotta agree with what someone said earlier about the mountains, you have them set up really tall, but with no variation. try making a couple flat areas on the way up, a couple sharp drop offs, and more variation in the height scaling. dont just push back cubes each level as it looks too uniform. also: tone down the trees on the islands. in a tdm like this not a whole lot/any fighting will be done on the ground, so theres no need for detail on islands like that. fewer trees and then maybe a couple hills with a small bunker/other building placed every now and then. i would also suggest redoing the spawn room to look a little more organized and making item selection easier

really cool stuff tho, carrier is looking great. love dogfight tdms like these

i gotta agree with what someone said earlier about the mountains, you have them set up really tall, but with no variation. try making a couple flat areas on the way up, a couple sharp drop offs, and more variation in the height scaling. dont just push back cubes each level as it looks too uniform. also: tone down the trees on the islands. in a tdm like this not a whole lot/any fighting will be done on the ground, so theres no need for detail on islands like that. fewer trees and then maybe a couple hills with a small bunker/other building placed every now and then. i would also suggest redoing the spawn room to look a little more organized and making item selection easier

really cool stuff tho, carrier is looking great. love dogfight tdms like these

I have almost finished converting the 4x4x4 mountains to modter and will add variation, the Trees were mainly to hide a tank that both teams can use but I'll reduce them. The spawn room is fine the way it is because you can pick up items by clicking on them from up to 16 studs away, no need to step allover the tables or jump into the walls. Thanks for your input.

This looks like it will be pretty interesting.  I used to host a dogfight with a similar set-up to this - one aircraft carrier and an island.  My one suggestion for you is that you make the entire map more condensed, and for a few reasons:

- Decrease brink-count (and consequently decrease lag)
- Creates more "intense" gameplay when there are more players on the server
- Creates less boring gameplay when there are less than 10 players on a server
- It is way less work for you

If you'd like, I can send you pictures of what the old dogfight I used to host looked like.  Perhaps it could help you get a better idea of what exactly I mean, as well as provide you with ideas for little things on the island.

EDIT:  I see on the last page there was a discussion about Modter for the carrier.  I am not trying to show off something I built in the past, but the opening seconds of this video have a Modter carrier in it (we saved a stuff ton on the brick count)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:25:29 PM by SailorMan »

This looks like it will be pretty interesting.  I used to host a dogfight with a similar set-up to this - one aircraft carrier and an island.  My one suggestion for you is that you make the entire map more condensed, and for a few reasons:

- Decrease brink-count (and consequently decrease lag)
- Creates more "intense" gameplay when there are more players on the server
- Creates less boring gameplay when there are less than 10 players on a server
- It is way less work for you

If you'd like, I can send you pictures of what the old dogfight I used to host looked like.  Perhaps it could help you get a better idea of what exactly I mean, as well as provide you with ideas for little things on the island.

EDIT:  I see on the last page there was a discussion about Modter for the carrier.  I am not trying to show off something I built in the past, but the opening seconds of this video have a Modter carrier in it (we saved a stuff ton on the brick count)

That would be great, do you have a discord? If so PM me it.

Sailorman, you should release that as a gamemode because it was really fun.

That would be great, do you have a discord? If so PM me it.
I don't, but I do have Steam if you would like to message me there.

Sailorman, you should release that as a gamemode because it was really fun.
I probably should.  Only issue is that it required a forget-ton of add-ons.  I'll look into it, though.  I may host it in a few days depending on if I have the time or not.

I don't, but I do have Steam if you would like to message me there.
I probably should.  Only issue is that it required a forget-ton of add-ons.  I'll look into it, though.  I may host it in a few days depending on if I have the time or not.

Ok. pm me your steam.