Author Topic: How long until one should get a new computer?  (Read 922 times)

I've had mine since 2012. My computer is like 4 years old now. Is it time to get a new one? Its age doesn't seem to be showing that much. It really feels like I got it yesterday. Are 4 years considered old for a computer?

It really depends what you have in it, and even then some, if not most of it can stay, you can just replace some parts like the GPU or add another hard drive.

if youre not using it for anything super stressful like gaming or running any other demanding software, theres not really a point if you keep it maintained. i have a friend thats had a netbook for like 6 years that he uses for college. all he does is do research and homework assignments on it, he has a desktop for anything more

if youre not using it for anything super stressful like gaming or running any other demanding software, theres not really a point if you keep it maintained. i have a friend thats had a netbook for like 6 years that he uses for college. all he does is do research and homework assignments on it, he has a desktop for anything more
Well I do play games so I guess my PC is stressed out.

I mean you can upgrade it to keep up, buying a whole new computer especially when it's not showing age like you said is kind of a waste of money

a new computer is mobo+cpu(new chipset) combo.
everything else has always been upgraded as needed and moved to the new chipset for the last 20 years.

Is it time to get a new one? Its age doesn't seem to be showing that much. It really feels like I got it yesterday.
I literally see no reason for you to get a new computer if half of your points are "it still works great"

Are your specs like 3-4 generations old?
No?
Dont get a new one

I literally see no reason for you to get a new computer if half of your points are "it still works great"
All my posts are pointless except my dramas.

I've had this trusty Emachine for over a decade.

Still works great!

Yeah!

until the current one wont turn on

replace the PC parts with slightly better ones every 5 to 8 years
begin lengthening the cycle to 8 to 10 years
when it starts getting to 200 to 300 then you should loving stop srsly

when you have trouble with games you want to play
and even then you should probably just upgrade the components that are holding you back instead of replacing the whole thing lol

once a year with good backups