the knowledge issue

Author Topic: the knowledge issue  (Read 1410 times)

Let's talk about an issue I have with games.
Let's call it the knowledge issue.
The knowledge issue is the problem that you can't un-learn something intentionally. Story/puzzle games lose almost all value once you've played them, and a lot if someone spoils it for you
Horror games revolve around things happening suddenly and an atmosphere of apprehension. What's going to come for me? When will it show up? Am I safe? Do the rules change? What's behind this door?
Exploration games do, too. Once you've seen everything, you've explored it all. What more is there to do?
It's like reading a book. Why read it twice unless you've forgotten something?
A lot of games are easier if you know the exact mechanics, the limits where things start happening so you know exactly what you can and can't do.
Let's take Teleglitch. I just bought it. It's fun. I had no idea what to expect. The first time zombies burst out of a pipe I died simply because I didn't have time to process it. Now that I know that happens, I'm more careful. I know how many shots it takes on average to down the basic enemies. Two or three. I also know that I can craft the nailgun, how to find secrets, and other things I didn't.
There's a lot of fun in knowing you don't know things, and that there's more to learn.

i get real disappointed going through games a second time that i've already played through often because of this
when i first played gta5 it was the best loving game of my life. learning the area was so great and exploring was fun
the second time through i expected to feel the same way but everything felt forgetin off
it really bothers me

i think the term you're looking for here is replayability

i get real disappointed going through games a second time that i've already played through often because of this
when i first played gta5 it was the best loving game of my life. learning the area was so great and exploring was fun
the second time through i expected to feel the same way but everything felt forgetin off
it really bothers me
yeah same for persona 4 (sorry I keep on bringing this game up), the game felt so great playing it and when I beat the game and when I started new game plus, I lost interest and didn't feel like doing everything again just to fight a super boss at the end.

i think the term you're looking for here is replayability

This is exactly why I never read wikis or walkthroughs, and tend to stay away from games that pretty well require one to play. (example, minecraft)
And it's also why I prefer to play competitively.
Sure, you gain knowledge on all the basic mechanics pretty quickly.
But you're always forever learning how to overcome your opponents.

This is exactly why I never read wikis or walkthroughs, and tend to stay away from games that pretty well require one to play. (example, minecraft)
I liked minecraft until I knew most of the things. I liked not knowing what all could happen.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 02:15:43 PM by Super Suit 12 »

I liked minecraft until I knew most of the things. I liked not knowing what all could happen.
Of course, but you can't even start the game without outside knowledge.

Throw a new player in the game. Ask them to make you a pickaxe and a furnace without looking up any wikis, videos, or asking for help.

All my favorite games are sandboxes for this reason. Having unlimited content and unlimited discovery is what makes a game for me.

You know what I love more than lamborghinis? Knowledge.

Dude epic

one million hollywood hills

only 47 bank accounts in my account account

resident evil 7's madhouse difficulty changes item locations, enemy positions and apparently some other elements, so there's a layer of replayability there