Author Topic: if you were in control of blockland what would you do  (Read 5233 times)

LODs for bricks aren't as easy as you think they are. Most bricks are already as simple as they can possibly be, so you need to find something that can dynamically simplify whole chunks of a build together. And it has to be incredibly fast too.

Most of the special bricks could be easily reduced to basic geometry, but the building bricks would be more difficult. With your suggestion, that would have to be limited to bricks that are not destructible, as the individual bricks would have to be reloaded immediately for brick physics to take effect. For a first pass optimization, occlusion culling and frustum culling would suffice and greatly increase performance.

You don't have to update them immediately. Noone would notice if it takes 1 or 3 frames for the LOD to be regenerated... everything is kinda delayed and ugly anyways because of the server sided explosions.

I plan to do something like this, but not actually use the Blockland name unless somehow I get it from Badspot.
Somewhere around here there's a thread describing my attempts in Unity and Unreal, I've got the general idea of how the building system would work code-wise, and I started working on some stuff in Unreal to move blocks around but I never got them started attaching because I didn't know the structure of Unreal too well
Considering how many projects you burn through I don't think anyone takes you saying that seriously.

If someone like Zeblote, Compmix, Trinick, Trigun, Port etc said they were building it - I might actually get excited.

Most bricks are already as simple as they can possibly be,
dont bricks have roughly 10 tris on each side for the corner uv maps? maybe cutting it down to 2 tris on each side for an lod could change a lot of things
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:15:20 PM by Trogtor »

dont bricks have roughly 10 tris on each side for the corner uv maps? maybe cutting it down to 2 tris on each side for an lod could change a lot of things

No, the sides of a brick are just 2 tris, the edge is created by stretching the texture slightly. It's not a good solution though.

The bottom of a brick is indeed 10 tris, but the edges of the bottom are quite big and visible from very far away. If you combined them the edge would disappear.

No, the sides of a brick are just 2 tris, the edge is created by stretching the texture slightly. It's not a good solution though.

ahh that's how it's done, i swear i was wrong but i was clueless on how else it could have possibly been done. that also explains how the edges are really pixelated which means it's nearest neighbor filtering