What would classify as a good server?

Author Topic: What would classify as a good server?  (Read 2143 times)

Having stuff to do, really. I mean you probably wouldn't think realize it but there are so many servers where there is just nothing to do. CRPG is fun for a while until you hit the plateau and there's nothing else to do. Prison Escape is fun for the 5 minutes you're alive and then you have to wait 20 minutes for the next round. Nobody plays DM servers because nobody wants to be the only person sitting around in an empty server doing nothing waiting for it to populate.

I wouldn't even mind if the build was total loving garbage or if there was nobody else in the server as long as I have a bot to kill or an item to get or a finish line to race to, anything except doing nothing.

A reserved and respectful admin team makes the biggest difference in server quality.

anything hosted by me
For an FPS minigame?
1. Decent map with secrets to find.
2. Relatively fast rounds, not impossible to prevent enemy scoring because you can't reach the point in time
3. Players don't sit out too long, or if they do, they are given something to do while they wait (Like TTT's Ghost Deathmatch that some servers use)

For a freebuild?
1. Don't restrict events, just ban people who abuse them.
2. Moderate players.
3. Quality control that doesn't require you to be great but requires you to put in some effort.
4. More events are better.
5. Few/no prop bricks.
6. For goodness sake there's no reason not to have slayer and all its up to date modes

Fort wars shouldn't be hosted IMO, because what's the difference between a fort wars server and setting up a minigame on a freebuild server?

anything that isn't a grapple knife server

I think a really important element of a successful server is being able to establish a very clear goal and allowing players to repeatedly achieve it in a number of manners.
A goal that encourages team work, communication and cooperation without requiring a very hands-on administration team - overbearing, trigger happy administration is very often the culprit that causes a server to diminish in quality.