what's a good format for digital paintings/shaded drawings?

Author Topic: what's a good format for digital paintings/shaded drawings?  (Read 1985 times)

any artists out there that know a good format like png or jpg to export/save as when you're painting/coloring/shading something digitally? i'm still sort of confused but i believe i'm told that jpg is for the painting if that's correct.

I've been told that if you want to print out something you've made you'd want to have it as a jpg instead of png but I'm not quite sure why myself.

I've been told that if you want to print out something you've made you'd want to have it as a jpg instead of png but I'm not quite sure why myself.

i don't really print nor even have a printer at all so that's a minus

Well the reason I'm thinking is because jpg, albeit compressed compared to png, is supposedly much better at handling a lot of colors whilst pngs are good at keeping image sharpness. I apologize that I'm not too keen on this in particular, I'm really just giving it a guess.

Well the reason I'm thinking is because jpg, albeit compressed compared to png, is supposedly much better at handling a lot of colors whilst pngs are good at keeping image sharpness. I apologize that I'm not too keen on this in particular, I'm really just giving it a guess.

before i was told what is/what isn't i thought jpg only made the handling at colors worse than png. although i do like a little image sharpness but here i'll try a little shading test

so i saved a light grey/black shade jpg and png

click open in new image for full view btw

jpg

png

sorry if i'm not a good shader lol maybe i shoulda used gradient

this probably means nothing but either way thanks for the help

doublepost but holy stuff i think i found a difference

jpg

png

When I open both, it says both are pngs?

oh no those two are just screencaps of the original images but zoomed in a lot

Huh, that's weird innit, I wouldn't expect a contrast difference like that.

Huh, that's weird innit, I wouldn't expect a contrast difference like that.

probably because i'm doing this for no reason and i don't think i'm making a point out of this either way i still need to find out which is better though

holy hell do not save as jpeg if you want to print
the stuffty jpeg artifacts will show up in the printed product and your image will end up looking deepfried. use PNG.

jpeg is for photos, not digital art. if you have nice crispy digital art it will be loving breaded by jpeg. Don't Do It. Don't use jpeg for digital art. or printing digital art. only for photos
if you really save your digital art as a jpeg then i guess it's for cases where you don't really give a stuff about the image quality?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 03:09:33 PM by foulprairiedog »

jpeg is good for web images as its low file size, but if file size isn't really a problem and you want to keep quality then go for png.

thanks for the advice prairie

jpeg is better at handling more colors while still remaining smaller in filesize. as for color reproduction png is superior