What would classify as a good server?

Author Topic: What would classify as a good server?  (Read 2142 times)

What would classify as a good server? A question for the ages that people have been trying to answer for 12 years. Only a select few have been blessed with the answer to this question, the answer which I dub, "The Key." But, the key is failing to enter the grasp of people's hands, so I have realized: we must work together to find this 'Key' for all to enjoy.

TL;DR: discuss [/title]

Quality, fun, engaging, and social.

think of it like good food

there are many cuisines and what is considered good varies depending on the cusine and the personal preference of whoever is judging

in general the only generally applicable advice is to put in time and dont accept lower quality content (in your eyes)

Few key things in my opinion:

Consider where each and every one of Blockland's features can fit into the server.
-This does not mean try to include everything. Some features don't fit with most ideas. Don't complicate it for the sake of complicating it.
-But do look at all your possibilities. Should you include the ability for players to use events, or a certain add-on? Should you use something to replace those?

Make it accessible.
-Nobody wants to remember 20 different /commands they have to use regularly.
-At the same time, not a lot of people like downloading a client GUI nowadays.
-Consider some sort of balance, or alternative, if needed.

Prevent mistakes.
-
prison escape
and other similar modes have the problem of requiring a referee.
-While keeping an admin or two to prevent unavoidable abuse cases is a good thing, they shouldn't be absolutely necessary for the game to actually function.
-If you don't want something to happen in your gamemode, figure out a good way to prevent it.

Don't forget about fun.
-People like having fun.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 02:55:12 PM by Shift Kitty »

if the server's easy to get into for new players, as well as fun for regular players, then it's good
for this reason i wouldn't particularly classify jailbreak as a good gamemode to host, considering many people who join leave within 30 minutes

another thing is if it has a reasonable amount of staff---having 50 decent admins on your server, consantly arguing about discipline and semantics, is worse than having 5 bad admins

it's directly proportional to the maturity level of players on the server

a server that attrackts players and blocks

theres effort put in
its fun

To me:

1. Fun and interactive
2. Doesn't look like stuff
3. Needs to look like someone put thought into it, like a carefully crafted book
4. Doesn't need admins to function properly

anything hosted by Tezuni

anything hosted not by Tezuni
Ftfy

A server that utilizes the gimick of blockland, which is to build and event, as a part of a game whether it be a main focus in a challenge or a side option in the game.

The reason city rpgs are so popular is because you basically work your way up and do stuff, and you can add to the world around you.

If you could run a server like this, and not have it as a city rpg, you'd do well.

not a lab rp
not a video game rp
not a family rp
not a prison escape except tezuni's thats serious
not a city rpg
also maybe not a merp
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:04:30 AM by TableSalt »

high quality build, fun, difficult to abuse

Sugar's Family RP 2017 is the best server