Author Topic: Can you use the same key on various computers?  (Read 1135 times)

As long as they are on the same network/router you should be ok.

You may:
-Use the same key in multiple windows on one computer, using the same name.
-Use the same key on separate computers at the same time on the same modem (same network) as long as you're using the same name.
-Use the same key on separate computers at different times on separate networks, however, do be careful that they never get used at the same time like this. As long as you're using the same name.

You may not:
-Give the key to anyone, while it's not an automatic deactivation, it will be a deactivation if you get caught.
-Use the same key on separate computers on different networks at the same time. This will cause an authentication failure and boot you out from the server you're connected to.
-Use the same key in multiple instances, whether it's the same or different computers, regardless of networks, with different names.

You may:
-Use the same key in multiple windows on one computer, using the same name.
-Use the same key on separate computers at the same time on the same modem (same network) as long as you're using the same name.
-Use the same key on separate computers at different times on separate networks, however, do be careful that they never get used at the same time like this. As long as you're using the same name.

You may not:
-Give the key to anyone, while it's not an automatic deactivation, it will be a deactivation if you get caught.
-Use the same key on separate computers on different networks at the same time. This will cause an authentication failure and boot you out from the server you're connected to.
-Use the same key in multiple instances, whether it's the same or different computers, regardless of networks, with different names.

Thanks!

So that's why you can run a dedicated server on a key and run a client on the key at the same time.  Neat.

So that's why you can run a dedicated server on a key and run a client on the key at the same time.  Neat.
I forgot to mention cases involving dedicated servers.

-Dedicated servers are exempt from the network rules. You may host a dedicated server with the same key on separate networks.
-You may run as many dedicated servers as you want on different networks, as well as one separate network running as many clients.
-You still may not run clients on separate networks, regardless of dedicated servers on separate networks.
-I am not sure about the same name rule.

-I am not sure about the same name rule.
Names can never be changed. It'll disconnect you from a server for auth fail if the same key has different names.

Names can never be changed. It'll disconnect you from a server for auth fail if the same key has different names.
Right, I know that.
But if you host the server first, then change your name, the server might keep it's old name. Servers themselves don't do periodic auth checks. Though maybe it just updates the name.

The server will update the name, if I remember.