6 (17.6%)
it looks okay. might buy
11 (32.4%)
looks okay. not buying
7 (20.6%)
not good
6 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Far Cry 5: its out  (Read 26787 times)

Did anyone else notice that the system requirements on steam call for DX9.0c, even though the minimum OS support is Windows 7 x64.

Is that a typo? What is the point?

this game is really good so far

"Far Cry 5" is a ham-fisted mess of American stereotypes and wink-wink, nudge-nudge jokes about gun violence. It feels like the wrong time to make this joke about an AR-15 considering that's the gun that was used in the Parkland shooting:
And that's the basest foundation of the kind of tone "Far Cry 5" takes with regard to American culture.

Much of the game's dialogue and characters are poorly done caricatures of American stereotypes: the sheriff, the preacher, the conspiracy theorist, etc. They all have something vaguely obvious to say, often with a subtle reference to today's culture. It's all stuff that would feel right at home in a side mission in "Grand Theft Auto 5" — a game that came out in 2013.

But it's 2018, and the US is more divided than ever. White nationalists are emboldened, teenagers are marching in the streets for gun control, and the White House seems particularly unstable.

Maybe it's not the best time for this kind of imagery?

Maybe I'm just too precious of a snowflake, but that seems unlikely given my interests. I love many violent games, and I've argued passionately before that playing violent video games doesn't cause real-life violence. I wouldn't argue that "Far Cry 5" is an exception.

It is, however, a tasteless game from bottom to top — from weapon descriptions, to character types, to dialogue to imagery. And not the good kind of tasteless that has something to say, but the juvenile kind that stuffposts on Reddit for fun.

"Far Cry 5" is a ham-fisted mess of American stereotypes and wink-wink, nudge-nudge jokes about gun violence. It feels like the wrong time to make this joke about an AR-15 considering that's the gun that was used in the Parkland shooting:
And that's the basest foundation of the kind of tone "Far Cry 5" takes with regard to American culture.

Much of the game's dialogue and characters are poorly done caricatures of American stereotypes: the sheriff, the preacher, the conspiracy theorist, etc. They all have something vaguely obvious to say, often with a subtle reference to today's culture. It's all stuff that would feel right at home in a side mission in "Grand Theft Auto 5" — a game that came out in 2013.

But it's 2018, and the US is more divided than ever. White nationalists are emboldened, teenagers are marching in the streets for gun control, and the White House seems particularly unstable.

Maybe it's not the best time for this kind of imagery?

Maybe I'm just too precious of a snowflake, but that seems unlikely given my interests. I love many violent games, and I've argued passionately before that playing violent video games doesn't cause real-life violence. I wouldn't argue that "Far Cry 5" is an exception.

It is, however, a tasteless game from bottom to top — from weapon descriptions, to character types, to dialogue to imagery. And not the good kind of tasteless that has something to say, but the juvenile kind that stuffposts on Reddit for fun.
That's why it's the best time you nancyboy thumb up your ass CUNT go take some soy anxiety pills while you're at it eh

the ending [was garbage. pretty much exactly like hotlime miami 2 ending where the world gets nuked].

theres also an [alternate ending where you finally decide to leave hope county with the sheriff and the other two cops, but the sheriff turns on the radio to that one song you got brainwashed to earlier in the game and the credits roll. so im guessing you just murder them.so they both suck ].
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:07:49 PM by Trogtor »

you have my permission to die

Am I the only one bored with the giant open world genre?

Am I the only one bored with the giant open world genre?
Nope same here, but I'm hoping red dead redemption 2 doesn't suck.

Nope same here, but I'm hoping red dead redemption 2 doesn't suck.
it won't

There's a secret ending, the best ending because it's in the intro and you don't need to play the game at all.

All endings suck, game sucks, intro was cool.

smh pulling the same stuff as they did in fc4

its not much of a secret the second time

I really wanted this game to be good, but that AI is a loving deal breaker. It's not like it's just bad in a couple critical youtube videos, every video I watch of this game gives a showcase of some of the worst AI I've seen in AAA FPS

yeah this ai looks really bad. the other thing I've seen is that the game is just constantly throwing them at you. there's no break, and nonstop action loses it's meaning if you have it for the entirety for the game.