Woman complains to Asda over 'boys will be boys' jumper

Author Topic: Woman complains to Asda over 'boys will be boys' jumper  (Read 1193 times)

Oh boy here we go again

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/style/woman-complains-to-asda-over-boys-will-be-boys-jumper/ar-BBBeldB?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid=mailsignout

"A woman has accused Asda of perpetuating “damaging” stereotypes by selling a child’s jumper emblazoned with the slogan “boys will be boys”.

She wrote - in an apparently now deleted Facebook post - that the jumper was problematic because it perpetuated the stereotype that men can get away with offensive or misogynistic behaviour by using the age-old slogan, reports the Mail Online.

“Look I get it,” she wrote. “Most people say this and don’t mean any harm by it. But boys having their behaviour excused like this from an early age – this message of being above the rules, it sticks. "

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:32:38 PM by Electrk. »

the jumper was problematic because it perpetuated the stereotype that men can get away with offensive or misogynistic behaviour by using the age-old slogan, reports the Mail Online.

“Look I get it,” she wrote. “Most people say this and don’t mean any harm by it. But boys having their behaviour excused like this from an early age – this message of being above the rules, it sticks. "

Oh yeah man. My legal defense after doing typical male activities like catcalling, manspreading, and raping women is "boys will be boys". Gets me off the hook every time.

she articulated pretty clearly why she doesnt like the phrase due to its potential harmful effects while also acknowledging that they probably didnt mean any harm by it, im not sure what the problem is. at any rate, though, she's right. tolerating and excusing bad behavior from children on the basis that that's how other kids act too is explicitly a bad thing.

Disregarding all the loveism and whatnot.

Regardless, things like these just teach children how to come up with excuses, rather than learning to deal with consequences. Same with things like "They're just a kid!", etc etc.
Of course, they're not going to use the same excuse for the rest of their life, but will find an excuse for everything.

she articulated pretty clearly why she doesnt like the phrase due to its potential harmful effects while also acknowledging that they probably didnt mean any harm by it, im not sure what the problem is. at any rate, though, she's right. tolerating and excusing bad behavior from children on the basis that that's how other kids act too is explicitly a bad thing.
Disregarding all the loveism and whatnot.

Regardless, things like these just teach children how to come up with excuses, rather than learning to deal with consequences. Same with things like "They're just a kid!", etc etc.
Of course, they're not going to use the same excuse for the rest of their life, but will find an excuse for everything.
You do realise it's just a shirt and not someone saying "kids can do what they want because they're kids!"

You do realise it's just a shirt and not someone saying "kids can do what they want because they're kids!"
Correct. It's a shirt worn by a person who chose to buy the shirt because they agree with the message written on it.

what if i wear a shirt that says "stay in the kitchen, bitches"
it's just a shirt

Classic feminist sjw turning non-loveist issues into loveist issues because reasons

Correct. It's a shirt worn by a person who chose to buy the shirt because they agree with the message written on it.
Again, it's just a shirt that has a phrase on it, does that mean you support using it in serious situations? No.
it's just a shirt
Yes, it is just a shirt, and if it just says "bitches" it doesn't necessarily mean women, if someone wore a shirt that said "Keep your fidget spinners to yourself, autists" I wouldn't be offended, it's literally just a loving shirt.

I miss 2006. I was young and stupid. Bionicle had just come out. Nobody was whining over a damn shirt. I don't think the past was better, it ain't, but it was simpler. More peaceful.

Classic feminist sjw turning non-loveist issues into loveist issues because reasons
This so much

it's just a shirt
Yes, it is just a shirt, and if it just says "bitches" it doesn't necessarily mean women, if someone wore a shirt that said "Keep your fidget spinners to yourself, autists" I wouldn't be offended, it's literally just a loving shirt.
i mean it'd be just like holding up a sign that said that everywhere. it is certainly correct that it is just a shirt, but messages displayed on shirts can still be damaging and offensive.

that being said, while i do agree that the whole "boys will be boys" thing is stupid, i wouldn't personally complain to a retailer about it