300 US Marines vs 60000 Romans

Author Topic: 300 US Marines vs 60000 Romans  (Read 6280 times)

the romans were charging in strange patterns. like they were following paths through the bodies, even though the bodies lay everywhere pretty evenly and the paths they took were over bodies anyway.

if they just charged straight on as they apparently could have, they would have overrun the marines really early on.

if we include all the resources available to both sides, the marines would win by adapting and buying themselves time in a steady retreat while calling in air support

if we just include the men and their immediate equipment, then the romans win in a zerg rush

The Romans, definitely. Modern weaponry confers an enormous advantage but there's no way to defend against being overrun by a crowd 2000x bigger than you.
Well, it really depends on the circumstances. Are they in an arena? Because if it's just a 1v1 war then the marines could wreck them via airstrike or something like that. Also, it's not impossible for one man to take on around 200 with inferior weaponry. Just look at Rork's Drift, where the British held off against a force that outnumbered their fighting men 40-50x over. In the case of a marine VS a group of people who likely don't even have metal armor (it was very expensive--you were expected to bring your own) you could shoot them down easily from a vantage point. If they were in a swarm-able position like at the bottom of a valley they'd lose for sure, but if they were in a secured fortress I think the Romans would have an EXTREMELY difficult time.

Also, you know, they'd probably surrender as soon as the dudes start firing magic fire arrows at them at 500 shots per minute.

If you include any outside forces in the fight, then its no longer really just "300 US marines vs 60,000 Romans". Where does the fight end? The only fair and quantifiable way to make this battle is to give these troops exactly what they'd carry into a standard fight and leave it at that. And are we even referencing the video anymore? Because in the video, its WW2 soldiers.

I don't think we're talking specifically WWII Marines even though that's what's in the video

I don't think we're talking specifically WWII Marines even though that's what's in the video

Which makes this conversation all the more convoluted. There are no set parameters for these arguments (which, albeit, has been interesting), so no one person can even be right. The original topic at hand is what OP posted.

yall are talking about air support and all when there's supposed to be only 300 on one side. romans win

It would have to be 300 infantry, otherwise it's just not a contest. If the marines had tanks or air support, the limiting factor becomes ammunition, not numbers.

3, ENGAGE MAN TO OUR FRONT, 500 METRES

Well DOOM Marine could probably kill 60,000 Romans with his bare hands anyway
I actually would like to see doom guy kill 600000 romans.

If it was full squads with autoriflemen and grenadiers i'd say marines would win no problem.

It would have to be 300 infantry, otherwise it's just not a contest. If the marines had tanks or air support, the limiting factor becomes ammunition, not numbers.

yeah this

the marines have tanks, ships and aircraft considering they're the spearhead of any offensive operation

300 marines could mean 100 locked and loaded m2 bradleys
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:00:58 PM by Juncoph »

1 Meme vs The Entire Democrat Party