Author Topic: CityMod  (Read 4696 times)

Info

CityMod is a city role-playing/simulation gamemode that aims to provide a new and refreshing take on the traditional CityRP experience.  In order to faciilitate this goal, CityMod has been completely written from scratch.

For a long while, I have envisioned creating a new and fun CityRP-esque gamemode to enjoy in Blockland.  This ambition was first put into motion with the initial rendition of "CityMod" back in 2013.  However, at the time I was fairly inexperienced, with both creating a mod, programming, and life in general.  This reason is primarily why that rendition of the concept did not come to fruition.  Yet, since then, I have kept CityMod, or a mod like it, in my ambitions.  This has lead me to reviving the project a handful of times over the course of the past few years, the most prominent being a rewrite of the mod this past fall.  With each revitalization, however, the atrophy of stamina to work on the project due to the presence of school and other life events caused most of the attempts to be put on hiatus.  That then brings us to the present, where I have recommenced work on the project in hopes of completing it during my free time this summer.

Below are the current planned and/or implemented features of CityMod.  The project is still a work in progress, and proposed changes, new suggestions, and other features you would like to see are greatly appreciated!

Features

• Organizations
    In CityMod, organizations play a fundamental role in the mechanics of the labor force.  Rather than being defined by a list of preset jobs, the job market will be shaped by the jobs that organizations can dynamically create.  In addition to government-run organizations such as the Police Department, enterprising individuals will be able to create organizations of their own.
  • Tasks
    In tandem with organizations, player-assigned tasks provide a method with which a wide variety of diverse jobs are able to be formed.  Although most tasks may be simple in nature, such as facilitating a number of sales, they give objectives for employees to complete in order to receive their paycheck.
  • Skills / Experience
    Through engagement in various activities or tasks, a player can gain experience in a skillset relevant to the task performed.  Upon gaining enough experience and leveling up a skillset, the rewarded points can be allocated toward the purchase of a new skill in the hierarchy of the skillset.  Each skill comes with its own benefits that may make the player more desirable to potential employers, such as a gained increase in personal production efficiency.
  • Production
    Resources and what one does with them are an integral part in the production cycle.  Through an assortment of machinery, the most basic of resources can be fabricated into specialized resources which can be used by various trades and professions.
  • Real Estate
    Rather than the city landscape being dotted by distinctive empty holes in the ground, the lots initially available will come either as a plot of untouched wilderness or a prebuilt structure of varying condition.  As the city grows, players will have the choice to purchase lots from whats left of the government's stock or from other aspiring developers who have put their lot up for sale on the real estate market.
  • Crime
    Too often the gameplay in many city roleplay-centered gamemodes degrades into a team deathmatch masked with more features.  In order to combat this trend, crime will come with more imminent and consequential penalties.  The presence of witnesses and other pieces of evidence with permanency may discourage many from a life of crime.  However, each individual still has the chance to beat the odds and live a fortunate and successful life of crime.

Other Features

• Inventory System - The vanilla inventory system has been completely overhauled to facilitate a larger inventory size and a more robust system.
  • Currency - The concept of finite money plays an important role in the city's economy through managed banking and physical currency.

The Gamemode   |   The Client

Both repositories are still a heavy work in progress and are provided for the sake of contribution and community-involvement.  It is not recommended, but rather advised against, to publicly host the gamemode in its current state.

If you are interested in helping with the code, the best way is to check the "Issues" sections of each repository.  For other help, such as with modeling or graphics, feel free to contact me on Steam.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:59:47 PM by Vaux »

reserved~~

side note: the latest code will be pushed to the repositories sometime this weekend once I bug-test it.
latest stuff was pushed.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:38:18 PM by Vaux »

awesome cool good rad

Woah, looking cool!

I got high hopes for this!

Dude, if you pull this off, and finish it, you will be thanked by so many!
This is a really cool and interesting and refreshing take on the CityRPG genre, and I like what you have come up with/have already done.

Though you briefly mentioned it above, I want to expand on the "Crime Punishment" thing.

-Note: Cause it was the most recent I, and I have personal experience from it, I will be using Caviks CityRPG for my examples.-

CRIMINAL EMPIRES:

As people who played the most recent CityRPG (Caviks, RIP) may know, the crime section was "heavily flawed" so to speak. The main reason for this was that the only punishment was a "time out in the corner" (well actually it was a German island but I digress), yes it limited you from certain jobs but no one cared as long as they had money, an impenetrable hideout and a drug empire.

Speaking of which (what an ironic segway) -
There where many problems with this which I hope you somehow remedy, but not by removing them, as they did add another level (although broken) to the game.
(I also have some thoughts on this, which where kinda added to Caviks CityRPG, though I didn't see it personally)

One of my biggest complaints was that they where to easy to farm, wait time was 3mins between harvests, there was no way to tell if someone had it on them (unless you saw them harvest) and you got way to much cash from it.
They where also incredible easy to get to as people cheated by either:
1. (Server thing) Saving the map and finding out how to access the drugs
2. Making it impossible to get to them
3. Exploits and cheats
4. (Server thing) being forced to make them easy to get to >:(

JOBS
This is a bit more interesting, and again some stuff may just be Cavik CityRPG stuff only but I might as well include them.

Once a crim hit a certain Edu, he can get a job which allows him to sell things, which ment if they had an impenetrable hideout, he or she (or it, not assuming genders here) could buy weapons, ammo, food and healing supplies when ever they wanted, needed to or died, and get some of the cash back! And if they set up a public store, then boom more money.
So if a crim had a drug Empire, had a successful shop and was a successful crim, he was unstoppable.

A way to counteract this, was to use exploits, cheats and land mines to either crack door codes, find the secret switches some had, or blow up thin walls and break in.
After a lengthy discussion on Discord a bunch of us came up with a list of things which might fix most issues listed above, and maybe start a gang/mafia/drug war.

As far as I know Cavik only did one, which was add the SWAT team. These guys (or gals, or it's) had breaching charges and so could destroy doors and bust in. The design was to make it so they only had one charge which ment you had to have squads of them. I don't know how this turned out, but it was good in theory.
(I will get the list of things we wanted changed at some point, there was like 17 - 19 things)

So these where just my concerns about the criminal under world of a typical CityRPG which I hope you fix/change, and an idea about a new job, so to get you thinking more about those good ol' cops. (Cause seriously they are way underpowered compared to the crimes). There will definatly be things I missed, so to those who read this bit PLEASE mention it if I did.

Anyway, nice job keep it up it looks promising! :)

This is some good stuff.

odang vaux you reviving this!?

A relevant rant I had about the recent Society thing: https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=309829.msg9525946#msg9525946

Anyway, to be honest a CityRP gamemode with more emphasis on actually playing a character would be really cool. I suggest you include some basic RP features like local chat, character creation (maybe), radio communication, perhaps even TV stations and TVs themselves so as to encourage more "fun" ways to interact with players.
Plus I really wanna build self-sufficient casions that don't require me to be constantly online just so I can make it profitable :(

- snip -

Really good topics for discussion, especially in regards to the mechanics of crime.  As many have pointed out throughout the different iterations of CityRP(G)s, the onset of deathmatch-esque crime is a pretty formidable problem and one that doesn't seem to have a very straightforward, apparent solution.  Most frequently, I see a common "cop-out" on the issue being simply extending the time people are sentenced to prison.  However, this just seems to cause people to lose interest and even quit the server.  Frankly, this is one of the elements of the mod that I have been putting aside; more deliberation will definitely have to be done on the subject, so as to find an adequate solution.

Anyhow, in regards to the situation that you brought forward (how easy it is for criminals to form an almost-invincible monopoly on the city), the problem of crime becomes especially exasperating.  However, one mechanic that may inadvertently restrain people from barricading themselves in a protected, constantly supplied area and wreaking havoc upon the city, is the mechanic of limited resources and how those resources are required to manufacture various products, such as guns, ammo, or food.  No longer would one be able to game-breakingly sell themselves every item they need at a negligible cost.  Rather, they, or someone else, would have to go out and bring back the processed products.  Optimally, this obstacle would add a new dynamic to the struggle of keeping a manageable level of order in the city.  Being relatively unstoppable would come at a cost, and if someone can successfully get a cartel of underlings to do their bidding then hats off to them.

vaux is back :o

if u need build help i can help

odang vaux you reviving this!?

A relevant rant I had about the recent Society thing: https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=309829.msg9525946#msg9525946

Anyway, to be honest a CityRP gamemode with more emphasis on actually playing a character would be really cool. I suggest you include some basic RP features like local chat, character creation (maybe), radio communication, perhaps even TV stations and TVs themselves so as to encourage more "fun" ways to interact with players.
Plus I really wanna build self-sufficient casions that don't require me to be constantly online just so I can make it profitable :(

That thread especially piqued my interest when it was posted.  I really liked the discussion and the responses posted.  I took a fair amount of inspiration from your criticisms and those of others.

I do plan on experimenting with having a local chat and a mail system to add to the experience.

vaux is back :o

if u need build help i can help

I've been here over the years, just lurking <3
But yeah, I'll definitely need some help with a map and prefab buildings when the time comes.

Vaux I am interested in your project, I quit working on my own forever ago. Ill follow this and hope it survives, if there's anything I can do to help you out, or to be of any assistance let me know.