Author Topic: Can't turn on shaders above minimum, only shaders in folder are Minimum  (Read 1958 times)

Those are all the files that should be there. If shadows are greyed out it means your graphics card doesn't support them.

They're not grayed out, I can select them, only minimum works though.

...Uh what is your graphics card by chance? Usually lower end gpus dont handle BL shaders very well. I know this seeing as i tried turning on shaders on my crappy old laptop from 2009 with a Pentium and it just caused everything to be gray, foggy and dull.

...Uh what is your graphics card by chance? Usually lower end gpus dont handle BL shaders very well. I know this seeing as i tried turning on shaders on my crappy old laptop from 2009 with a Pentium and it just caused everything to be gray, foggy and dull.
No, it just turns on the Off shader. No changes or differences.

No, it just turns on the Off shader. No changes or differences.
Also another question - do you have an Nvidia card running the latest driver by chance? Seeing as the latest driver from Nvidia renders shaders improperly at every setting above minimum, that may be your problem.

Also another question - do you have an Nvidia card running the latest driver by chance? Seeing as the latest driver from Nvidia renders shaders improperly at every setting above minimum, that may be your problem.
I'm running a gaming labtop running Nvidia Geforce 555m (a middle class labtop graphics card) and an intel i7. I have not updated the drivers yet since I got it.

I'm running a gaming labtop running Nvidia Geforce 555m (a middle class laptop graphics card) and an intel i7. I have not updated the drivers yet since I got it.
Do you know what driver version its running anyways? It seems to have started at around driver version 381.XX

Do you know what driver version its running anyways? It seems to have started at around driver version 381.XX
It says 10.18.13.5946 when I go into device manager.

It says 10.18.13.5946 when I go into device manager.
That appears to be a driver from somewhere around April 2016, and the problem didnt start until April of 2017. Not sure what the problem might be then...

Has it always been this way or did it just start?

It's always been this way. I've recently been trying to use shaders, so i'm alot more worried about it.

Then I wouldn't be surprised if its just because your hardware isn't capable of running shaders.

Then I wouldn't be surprised if its just because your hardware isn't capable of running shaders.
They are.
They can run gmod with 100+ addons at 57.42 fps, normally over 120.

They are.
They can run gmod with 100+ addons at 57.42 fps, normally over 120.
It's not so much sheer power or grunt with the GPU, its more with the ability to support them. You most likely need a certain instruction set (or something I dunno) to run BL shaders that just isnt on your GPU.