Author Topic: Why does rust use so much memory  (Read 3877 times)

Whenever I join a game it uses up to 90% of my ram which makes windows go apestuff, it's a loving indie game not crysis 3.

Anybody know why it happens or how to limit the memory?

how much ram do you have?

how much ram do you have?
8 gigs, DDR3

I've tried putting settings to absolute minimum but it doesn't change the ram usage at all.

because it's easy to forget about

because it's easy to forget about
this joke is probably more useful than anything I'd get from asking the devs

as far as I'm aware Rust has problems with memory leaks, which is when a program fails to release memory it's not using anymore. the game is just poorly made.

because it runs off Unity

Rust has a long and storied history of bad optimization. One of the big reasons I dislike it.

uh dont take this the wrong way but i think you should upgrade to 16gb or at least 12gb some time soon... or dont, i mean most of the games i play today take advantage of the 16gb i have but you probably play different games than i do

uh dont take this the wrong way but i think you should upgrade to 16gb or at least 12gb some time soon... or dont, i mean most of the games i play today take advantage of the 16gb i have but you probably play different games than i do
i dunno man, 8 gigs seems to be fine for me, the only games that I can't run are GTA 5 and Rust. Arma 3 can still run but not on maxed which is fine

Rust has a long and storied history of bad optimization.
If you don't understand what the words mean, don't say them. You're not helping matters by sputtering pure garbage.

because it runs off Unity
Unity is a very poor engine, but it's not responsible for developer stupidity.

as far as I'm aware Rust has problems with memory leaks
Let's get some more info on this.

Unity uses the Mono framework (JS/C#), which only has automated garbage collection; you can force the GC to collect, but you don't need to (and have no means to) manually clear assigned memory. So long as you're being a bit smart and making sure to call Destroy() when you're done with something in the world, it should be okay (Destroy() marks an object as clear to remove, but the Garbage Collector can and will also search for objects which you didn't explicitly destroy, but aren't being referenced by anything else active in the scene and clear them too).

If the game were to, for example, be constantly spawning objects and keep them referenced and "live" within the world without destroying them, that's an issue. Whether it's an actual "memory leak" or just stuffty programming is down to your own perspective; I personally would want to see what code is responsible for creating these stuff chunks to determine if they actually have a purpose for existing. It could, for example, be particle emitters or audio emitters which aren't being cleaned when they're done, or maybe the game just never unloads parts of the world as more is thrown into memory.

If you don't understand what the words mean, don't say them. You're not helping matters by sputtering pure garbage.
As in it doesn't run well on hardware which should be definitely sufficient to run it. It's not well optimized, or at least it wasn't the last time I played it before uninstalling.