Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Society  (Read 3792 times)

Here's a little tip from a suburbia dev: if it doesn't end it doesn't work

making a game that goes on forever with no end goal or win condition is essentially cookie clicker- you keep clicking until you get bored. even with all these fancy occupations and fields, the core mechanism has to have a win condition otherwise people will just play, spam and kill until they get bored and leave

there are people that find the fruitless grind 'fun' but its the type of hollow fun you get from playing an iphone game or bejeweled. for the sake of the master list, add a win condition
just because you (and i) don't think its real fun doesn't mean people don't enjoy it and it doesn't get players.

usually the solution to this endless grinding bullstuff that caps out is to make the cap take months to reach but that requires a stuffload of content which this currently lacks as it just caps out at the usual 6ish education probably

just a couple suggestions, i didn't read the whole post thoroughly so might be restating some things:
- have a health system so jobs in the medical field are actually useful. if players can just buy their own healing supplies, no one will go to the doctors. maybe make there be certain injuries that can only be healed if you get medical attention, maybe sickness that is randomly applied to players. being sick gives you a permanent 50/100 health until you get it treated, broken limbs make you move slower/not be able to use certain items, things like that.
-i also have to disagree with the "no demerit" limit. tbh crime is like 25% of the gameplay in a city rpg, 100% for some people. i see where youre coming from trying to prevent the server just becoming a DM with money and whatnot, but still kinda absurd. a couple alernatives would be to either make clearing your record easier/gaining a lot less, or putting limits on criminals. for example, a criminal with enough demerits cant use a bank and has to carry all his money on him/in a personal safe (that could potentially be stolen from). a criminal cant buy items from "legal" store or use "legal" services (ie. a doctor with no record cant sell his services legally to a criminal, but if he does it counts as a minor crime for the doctor).
-how are you handeling vehicles? just putting a high price on them and anyone can buy?
-how do you rank up in position
-also gotta agree that only having guns to sell is hella lame. youre basically encouraging the game to be a deathmatch. the entire point of the game and the only thing to work towards is getting weapons then. im not against the idea of hunger if you redid the system a little bit, maybe made the economy a little more dynamic. car salesmen are also a possibility. life insurance? health insurance (doctors are cheaper)? car insurance?
-you mention fires but dont really elaborate. are you going to have a fire system similar to that old fire mod?

There will be a real estate system, but I'd rather have players focus on building and collaborating. Player interaction is important.
There will be prebuilt buildings like I said that a CEO can purchase and turn into a shop. Once they have enough money they can erect their own building by hiring an architect. People can hop job to job as well if they like.
What if you introduced a real estate license or builder's permit people could buy? I don't think people should have to jump between jobs just to build a house. I real life, if people who want to build a house of their typically do not just quit their job for a couple of months.

Hell, why not replace more of the occupations with licenses or permits? Again taking real life as an brown townogue, it's not uncommon for people to have another business on the side (e.g. investing in real estate or selling homemade goods online). While it makes sense for people to have to train to become doctor and policemen, it doesn't make as much sense to make "entrepreneur" (for instance) a exclusive job, or to relegate innovative play styles to a "free-will" job.

Let people buy licenses/permits for selling firearms and items, building, lumber-jacking, mining. Perhaps make different levels of license to replace different job tiers (e.g. shopkeeper vs. entrepreneur). This could be a subset of training. Or you could put limitations on permits/license (e.g. a building permit only allows you to build on one lot, or a license to sell items expires if you don't renew it).

I think your mindset is still too much grounded in the traditional CRPG model. In general, I suggest trying not to make everything revolve around a player's job type. One of the main reasons drugs took off in CRPG so much is because they introduced non-static gameplay that diverged from the job-centric CRPG model.

- have a health system so jobs in the medical field are actually useful. if players can just buy their own healing supplies, no one will go to the doctors. maybe make there be certain injuries that can only be healed if you get medical attention, maybe sickness that is randomly applied to players. being sick gives you a permanent 50/100 health until you get it treated, broken limbs make you move slower/not be able to use certain items, things like that.
Maybe when a player gets "killed", they instead get sent to a hospital. They would have to pay some money to get treatment, and would not be able to leave the hospital for a tick or two (sort of like being in jail).

Also, perhaps if a player can't pay their medical bills, they will die unless they can get someone to pay it for them.

Maybe when a player gets "killed", they instead get sent to a hospital.
I have already stated this feature. I do not want to force players to pay money when they get killed.

I do like your ideas though, I will add to the original post. With all of our collaborations, we can put together a well documented GameMode and maybe someone will be willing to code it.

Edit:

You cannot buy medical supplies, doctors are the only people will access and you must buy it directly off them. Made some edits to the original post by the way.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:51:21 PM by Derroith »

I have already stated this feature. I do not want to force players to pay money when they get killed.
My apologies. Must have missed that.

Are you planning on making them wait a tick or two before leaving? Or do they just spawn and go on their way? I feel like there should be some sort of tangible punishment for dying. Maybe they are made slower for a period of time some or spawn with less health, like RedGajin suggested. Although, being downed will likely be enough of a disincentive to commit Self Delete. It sounds like it already adds its own waiting period.

I do like your ideas though, I will add to the original post. With all of our collaborations, we can put together a well documented GameMode and maybe someone will be willing to code it.
I would be happy to help. If you have a Gmail account, setup a Google Doc and PM me an invite. I can help with coding. All the features you have listed so far fall within my skill level/knowledge of Blockland modding. However, I can't guarantee I will be able to lend a hand consistently. It would help to get one or two more coders on this project.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:54:13 PM by Platypi »

Can i be that creepy dark allyway hobo that lures people in then shanks their kidneys ?

Surprised you caught that! I worked with Diggy before he disappeared. It is heavily inspired and he had some really good ideas so I had to put this together. I hope he is doing well wherever he is.
He went off wherever and I haven't seen or heard from him forever. This is a interesting revival of the idrs and I love it.