INHUMAN Rebooted — Chapter 1: A Common Cause

Author Topic: INHUMAN Rebooted — Chapter 1: A Common Cause  (Read 129188 times)

Norum nods slowly, eyes closed, to concur throughout Elena's explanation.

"This guy's one slippery dude. What Elena says is true." Norum utters in a slightly slurred tone.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:46:03 PM by SWAT One »

"Slippery as forget'n butter.", Ryde adds

"I'm sorry, you're working for what?" Amanda asks Elena in a surprised tone, after hearing about "crime boss" from Zhang.

"I'm sorry, you're working for what?" Amanda asks Elena in a surprised tone, after hearing about "crime boss" from Zhang.

"I don't work for anybody and you know that. When we tried to get the forgeter he had a bunch men from another gang holding down the fort. We were more or less 'politely' extorted into doing a night's work for him. Or if you were me and Zhang here, then we got to sit at one of his properties and listen to him run his mouth about how he was shorted,"

"This is exactly the reason I like to keep my distance. I assume you're off the hook now?"

"This is exactly the reason I like to keep my distance. I assume you're off the hook now?"

"I'm almost certain. We'd ought to be. Last I heard was that Xang with an X didn't want to see us again. forget him anyway, he was nothing but condescending,"

"I'm almost certain. We'd ought to be. Last I heard was that Xang with an X didn't want to see us again. forget him anyway, he was nothing but condescending,"

Zhang visibly comes close to choking on her drink as Elena speaks. "I'm sorry and you just bought that?" Zhang all but cries out, after a brief coughing fit. She lowers her voice before continuing, "Because that sounds a hell of a lot more convenient than anybody should get after what happened in that house. 'Yeah you killed a bunch of my men but here go smash up a few venues and now we're square'. That doesn't happen, so now there now exist three major possibilities. Either Xang is dumber than he looks, somebody's playing us for the long con, or-" Zhang flicks her hand forward to point the pen at Elena, "-you're lying to us."

Zhang visibly comes close to choking on her drink as Elena speaks. "I'm sorry and you just bought that?" Zhang all but cries out, after a brief coughing fit. She lowers her voice before continuing, "Because that sounds a hell of a lot more convenient than anybody should get after what happened in that house. 'Yeah you killed a bunch of my men but here go smash up a few venues and now we're square'. That doesn't happen, so now there now exist three major possibilities. Either Xang is dumber than he looks, somebody's playing us for the long con, or-" Zhang flicks her hand forward to point the pen at Elena, "-you're lying to us."

"I wouldn't put it above him to be just that stupid, and I don't think he could leverage us for a long con, and if he tried I'd sure as stuff wouldn't go along with it. I wouldn't be caught dead working with someone as stupid as he is, or working for anyone for that matter," Elena replies, becoming a bit agitated.

"And you expect us to just trust you on your word like that?"
Zhang taps the table with her pen to punctuate her sentence. She reaches for her water and takes a sip, keeping her eyes on Elena.

"You're acting like there's anyone else to trust at the moment." Amanda says sarcastically.

"Because trusting somebody who's led me into a trap is just so much better," Zhang snaps back.

Norum speaks up all of the sudden.

"I'm sure that most of Salus Is competitive. A bunch of wealthy starfishs trying to undercut each other left and right. The catch, ma'am," Norum points one of the shot glasses at Zhang, "The rest of this damned city is cutthroat, too, from Providence to Rhodesburg and everywhere in-between. You know as well as each one of us do that the Doctor is the slimy bastard that forgeted us all over.  Anyone from Salus would have nothing to do with us, and not even know we exist. The very fact that you're here tells me that you're not welcome back and that comfort won't be falling into your lap any time soon."

Norum motions to Elena. "She's a programmer, and one hell of one too. Give her enough time and she can dig up just about anything" Norum then places a lazy hand on his chest. "I'm a courier. I know Aurum, at least what's on this side of the hurdle like it was my own backyard."

"And still we come up short. This is no idiot. Elena and I have come to the conclusion that someone is keeping this starfish safe. Unfortunately, this time, we were the closest we've ever been, had to act fast, and still came up short. But we're only two people, and Elena, as much as she's been able to help so far is not best at fighting goons. With all of you and now, little to no leads, we have the luxury of rethinking our approach."

"Elena and I cannot do this alone. With a new variety of talents and more manpower, we stand a better chance. You don't have to help us if you don't want to, but we're looking to either get even with the Doctor or to make enough money to live comfortably."

e1&2: Punctuation.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:54:18 PM by SWAT One »

"What would be proof to you my word is good then?" Elena asks Zhang.

"You can start with who your contact was."

"You can start with who your contact was."

"Due to the nature of my work I do not often know people beyond their pseudonyms, the original tip was through one such individual who I have worked with reliably for a year and a half. They are an information broker of sorts and a client of mine. That's all they gave me, so then I had to put the rest together by going to Hanley Park.
I wouldn't go just on the word of the first individual. I spent time trying to corroborate that tip with people on the ground, and that eat up a week, but by the end of it I had managed to ascertain that it was the doctor we were looking for, and that was supported by the things people were saying in Hanley Park and online."

She takes a breath.

"What was not ascertained was the nature of the protection the doctor had, which was an oversight to understate it. Nor did I figure out who was providing the protection. Or who owned the house. That's where it ended up being Xang, and the Anglers, where it could have just been a few freelance individuals who wouldn't have had the back up that the Anglers had,"