INHUMAN Rebooted — Chapter 1: A Common Cause

Author Topic: INHUMAN Rebooted — Chapter 1: A Common Cause  (Read 129198 times)

Ryde nods to Daniel as he goes to the Utility Room. He then turns on his phone's light to search around.

They're too large to be animal bones. You get a feeling that perhaps perhaps its something more sinister.

Elena picks up immediately.

"Yo,"

Zhang backs away from the boiler. "Looks like somebody tried to er... dispose of a body. Used the boiler in the basement and it's uh... still hot. The boiler. Not the body- maybe the body. It's more a pile of ash with bones in it," Zhang explains. She continues in an uncertain tone, "Might be a- might've been a person. Is a person? Was? Eh. Nn. You know."
She begins to feel like an idiot as her speech decomposes into awkward stammering.

Daniel decides to take a look in the bathroom.

It stinks like piss. There are catheters in the trashcan.

Daniel PER: 32
Daniel is trained in Awareness +/-0
Difficulty Adjustment +10
Test taken at 42
Roll: 22
Test Success

There's a pill bottle that's fallen behind the toilet, still full.

"Right, sure."

Norum glances over at Elena walking toward her car, over to the bike, then around at the surroundings. Should no one be around, or no one paying mind, Norum would check if his pistol was loaded and ensure that it is accessible in his satchel.

This street is dead. Your pistol is loaded and accessible.

"This is gonna be gross," she remarks before heading inside.

Ryde nods to Daniel as he goes to the Utility Room. He then turns on his phone's light to search around.

This seems to have been used as a bedroom and office. A dirty desk sits in the corner. Pots sit in the window sill, though the plants are long dead. One is shattered on the floor.

You take a look about the room.

Ryde PER: 33
Ryde is not trained in Awareness, -20
Test taken at 23
Roll: 32
Test Failed

You find nothing out of the ordinary looking about, but at the same time you haven't tried very hard.

Zhang backs away from the boiler. "Looks like somebody tried to er... dispose of a body. Used the boiler in the basement and it's uh... still hot. The boiler. Not the body- maybe the body. It's more a pile of ash with bones in it," Zhang explains. She continues in an uncertain tone, "Might be a- might've been a person. Is a person? Was? Eh. Nn. You know."
She begins to feel like an idiot as her speech decomposes into awkward stammering.

The line is silent for a minute.

"Was probably a cheap and easy way to get rid of... Removed appendages. I'm coming down now,"

You hear steps from the stairwell, and Elena coughing. She appears in the stairwell, comes over, looks in the boiler, and coughs again.

"Oh, stuff," she says quietly.

The line is silent for a minute.

"Was probably a cheap and easy way to get rid of... Removed appendages. I'm coming down now,"

You hear steps from the stairwell, and Elena coughing. She appears in the stairwell, comes over, looks in the boiler, and coughs again.

"Oh, stuff," she says quietly.

"Do you have a plan?" Zhang asks. At the same time she starts to slowly sweep her phone's light across the room, looking for any detail she might've missed.

It stinks like piss. There are catheters in the trashcan.

Daniel PER: 32
Daniel is trained in Awareness +/-0
Test taken at 42
Roll: 22
Test Success

There's a pill bottle that's fallen behind the toilet, still full.
     Daniel grimaces at the smell upon entering the room, grunting with disgust.  He notices the pill bottle, and ducks down to reach for it, using his flashlight to help read the label.

This street is dead. Your pistol is loaded and accessible.

"This is gonna be gross," she remarks before heading inside.

Norum's lips seal together and his eyebrows raise for a second before his face goes back to normal. He scans the street occasionally, initially looking up into the windows of the buildings across the street to see if he could discern any activity for about half a minute. Halfway through a sigh, he hears a few grunts of disgust coming from within the building behind him and takes a few glances inside to see if he could see anything, then resuming his watch over the bike and car parked curbside.

Ryde walks over to the desk and looks upon it

Nevada checks out Elena's car for a moment before standing guard.

"Do you have a plan?" Zhang asks. At the same time she starts to slowly sweep her phone's light across the room, looking for any detail she might've missed.

You spot nothing in the basement left.

"If we're gonna get any of this biological stuff looked at its gonna cost tens of thousands, and it'll take time to find someone good at the job. We might have to do some dirty work to come up with the money,"

Elena swabs at the blood on the ground, looking disgusted, and drops the q-tip into a plastic snack bag. She looks up at you.

"I don't think you're the kinda person to steal cars," Elena remarks.

Daniel grimaces at the smell upon entering the room, grunting with disgust.  He notices the pill bottle, and ducks down to reach for it, using his flashlight to help read the label.

You grab the bottle and read the label. Its full of high-strength painkillers.

Small red text on the lid, alongside Chinese characters reads, "FOR REFILLS, SCAN THIS SIDE UP."

You recall that most pill bottles have chips that track the prescriptions, refills, and other data.

Norum's lips seal together and his eyebrows raise for a second before his face goes back to normal. He scans the street occasionally, initially looking up into the windows of the buildings across the street to see if he could discern any activity for about half a minute. Halfway through a sigh, he hears a few grunts of disgust coming from within the building behind him and takes a few glances inside to see if he could see anything, then resuming his watch over the bike and car parked curbside.

The area is eerily devoid of activity. The only movement you see is a flying autonomous truck a few hundred feet in the air. The lights of the city illuminate the sparse low clouds.

Ryde walks over to the desk and looks upon it

There's nothing of note on the desk. It looks like it hasn't been touched in years.

Nevada checks out Elena's car for a moment before standing guard.

Elena's jalopy is a small, flat orange Yao Motors 4-door hybrid sedan. Its body has dings and scuffs, some plastic parts are beginning to sun bleach. The windshield is cracked, it smells like biodiesel, and the bumper trim is held together with drift stitches. The car's model is almost twenty years old.

Ryde looks about the bedroom, in search of anything that would be important.

You grab the bottle and read the label. Its full of high-strength painkillers.

Small red text on the lid, alongside Chinese characters reads, "FOR REFILLS, SCAN THIS SIDE UP."

You recall that most pill bottles have chips that track the prescriptions, refills, and other data.
     "Got another item of interest here, bottle of painkillers.  No name on the bottle, but maybe you can scan the chip with... something, I don't know what you can do, technowizard," he said to Elena over microphone.
     If there was nothing else of interest, Daniel would go and check the closet.

Elena's jalopy is a small, flat orange Yao Motors 4-door hybrid sedan. Its body has dings and scuffs, some plastic parts are beginning to sun bleach. The windshield is cracked, it smells like biodiesel, and the bumper trim is held together with drift stitches. The car's model is almost twenty years old.
     Daniel's car is cooler B)

Norum, bored, rifles through his jacket and procures a flask, screwing off the top, taking a swig, screwing the cap back on, and tucks the flask back into his jacket pocket while Nevada inspects the vehicles.

You spot nothing in the basement left.

"If we're gonna get any of this biological stuff looked at its gonna cost tens of thousands, and it'll take time to find someone good at the job. We might have to do some dirty work to come up with the money,"

Elena swabs at the blood on the ground, looking disgusted, and drops the q-tip into a plastic snack bag. She looks up at you.

"I don't think you're the kinda person to steal cars," Elena remarks.

Zhang shakes her head.

Ryde looks about the bedroom, in search of anything that would be important.

Ryde PER: 33
Ryde is not trained in Awareness, -20
Test taken at 23
Roll: 19
Test Passed

A flash under the bed catches your eye as you maneuver your light around the room.

"Got another item of interest here, bottle of painkillers.  No name on the bottle, but maybe you can scan the chip with... something, I don't know what you can do, technowizard," he said to Elena over microphone.
     If there was nothing else of interest, Daniel would go and check the closet.
     Daniel's car is cooler B)

"Finally! Something I can work with!" Elena exclaims, "I'll be up in a second."

The closet is full of cleaning supplies and generic store bought medicine, as well cobwebs and dust.forget me why did I mention it if I had nothing good for it I'll be good at investigations one day fug

You feel a small sense of smug satisfaction that your expensive hoverbike is more valuable than Elena's car, as well as her house, probably.

Norum, bored, rifles through his jacket and procures a flask, screwing off the top, taking a swig, screwing the cap back on, and tucks the flask back into his jacket pocket while Nevada inspects the vehicles.

The rain outside has died down to a sprinkle. Your drink goes uninterrupted.

Zhang shakes her head.

"Your friend wasn't keen on it either when I talked to him," Elena says.

She finishes bagging a swab, and heads towards the stairwell.

"Don't worry about it too much, I'm not in charge and I wouldn't force you or him to do something they wouldn't want to."

Nevada mulls around outside and waits for the rest of the group to finish their search.