Author Topic: What if I tried to turn my farming into a standalone game?  (Read 816 times)

I've tried many times in the past to create my own online game but never really had any idea to work towards, so it always kind of fell flat.
But I was wondering if I could basically create a server where people could come online and tend plants, mine resources, build a home and generally socialize.
I already have a lot of the models made for the add-on I could use as placeholders until I get better artwork, but I'd be able to create a game not really bound to the limitations of blockland.
It'd probably be a 3d multiplayer game not made on any kind of preexisting engine.

For an example of my previous work I'd suggest this:
https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=254277.0
But I need to find the pictures again, since they've been lost.

it'd probably be fun for like 3-4 days of gameplay and then people would realize it's pretty grindy and move on with their life

it really falls into the glorified cookie clicker genre which includes games like factorio, stardew, minecraft and others. they tend to be fun when you binge them but don't provide the long-lasting immersion or feeling of victory that linear games or rpgs tend to provide

the idea of planting/mining resources/socializing isn't that sustainable beyond an iphone app or an .io game
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:19:11 PM by PhantOS »

sounds like haven and hearth

sounds like haven and hearth
Honestly that looks pretty cool.

But I was going for something 3d, more modern, and with finer building controls. I don't think you'll be able to build vehicles or lay out pipelines in haven and hearth though I might actually look into playing it.

it'd probably be fun for like 3-4 days of gameplay and then people would realize it's pretty grindy and move on with their life

it really falls into the glorified cookie clicker genre which includes games like factorio, stardew, minecraft and others. they tend to be fun when you binge them but don't provide the long-lasting immersion or feeling of victory that linear games or rpgs tend to provide

the idea of planting/mining resources/socializing isn't that sustainable beyond an iphone app or an .io game
I love factorio though, and while I don't play minecraft much, buildcraft+industrial craft are great. These aren't unfavorable comparisons in my mind.
Besides, resource collection wouldn't be pointless like cookie clicker. It'd be required for crafting things and surviving, like in any other game of the same genre.

I love factorio though, and while I don't play minecraft much, buildcraft+industrial craft are great. These aren't unfavorable comparisons in my mind.
Besides, resource collection wouldn't be pointless like cookie clicker. It'd be required for crafting things and surviving, like in any other game of the same genre.

i love factorio as well. in particular, part of factorio is a challenge as you have to figure out the most efficient way to process resources, which includes building in an efficient manner or combining factories. if you were to make a farming game that had that same mechanic of efficiency and puzzles incorporated, it would probably last a little longer than 11 hours.

from the amount of time i played on your farming server, it was just simply planting, monitoring and watering crops and that was it. there wasn't much of a puzzle involved. if you managed to think up some new mechanic, like water supply rationing and other things that required more thinking than waiting, it might do better. however, games whose sole mechanic is to wait/grind or games that are built entirely around that mechanic are more for boredom curing and just simple mindless fun on the go

imho there are too many things like it, youd have to add some more in the process

it really falls into the glorified cookie clicker genre which includes games like factorio, stardew, minecraft and others.

>second most popular game ever

>high player retention

>spawns a genre's worth of clones and inspirations

"glorified cookie clicker" is factually wrong. liking the game is subjective, but what the game actually is is objective.

i haven't played the other two but their popularity also demonstrate a solid dismissal of your generalizing statement.

imagine if i said all rap is just autistic gangster swagger

i love factorio as well. in particular, part of factorio is a challenge as you have to figure out the most efficient way to process resources, which includes building in an efficient manner or combining factories. if you were to make a farming game that had that same mechanic of efficiency and puzzles incorporated, it would probably last a little longer than 11 hours.

from the amount of time i played on your farming server, it was just simply planting, monitoring and watering crops and that was it. there wasn't much of a puzzle involved. if you managed to think up some new mechanic, like water supply rationing and other things that required more thinking than waiting, it might do better. however, games whose sole mechanic is to wait/grind or games that are built entirely around that mechanic are more for boredom curing and just simple mindless fun on the go

most games by this vague definition are glorified cookie clickers, including the ones before cookie clicker

action games? well, you shoot stuff and then you rank up to get better weapons just to shoot stuff again. cookie clicking, right?
strategy games? well, you fight other empires and take their resources to become a strong empire which then goes onto fight other strong empires. cookie clicking, right?
etc
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:26:31 PM by Juncoph »