Add-Ons for a Community made Update

Author Topic: Add-Ons for a Community made Update  (Read 11770 times)

A think a "Community Update" should extend beyond just an advanced mod pack. Something like a custom launcher, some form of default DLL support, new default shaders, a slight UI refresh, adding some core functionality (Server-sided gui support? Chunk-based real-time autosaver? Persistent "worlds"? Easy packaging of maps and gamemodes, Halo 3 style? TCP-based (or otherwise optimized) save loading?), fully-integrated Support_Updater, etc.

Why spend so much time on this just to make more money for badspot, who will happily continue doing nothing?

Why spend so much time on this just to make more money for badspot, who will happily continue doing nothing?
cause the goal of modding is not for money but cause someone likes the game so much they want to make it more fun for old and new players?

A think a "Community Update" should extend beyond just an advanced mod pack. Something like a custom launcher, some form of default DLL support, new default shaders, a slight UI refresh, adding some core functionality (Server-sided gui support? Chunk-based real-time autosaver? Persistent "worlds"? Easy packaging of maps and gamemodes, Halo 3 style? TCP-based (or otherwise optimized) save loading?), fully-integrated Support_Updater, etc.

I second this.

this would be awesome but i dont think badspot would ever do this

What? I think we're still well below the scope of RTB, I can't think of a single malicious-seeming thing we've done. We're the scapegoat for about 90% of bugs that people encounter and there's been long standing problems with preferences, but Glass does a pretty good job of minding itself and not interfering with anything or trying to make it our own game, like TBM.
What?
its critawakets ignore him every chance u get

I agree, which is why I personally have little to no interest in doing so, but if there were to be a community update, some sort of collaborative effort, I think it should be an update and not a glorified mod pack.

Right, that's why this is a community update.

The point of a "community update" is that the community does it. Think of something like NVSE for Fallout New Vegas and the JIP LN plugin, and the unofficial patch mods for the various bethesda games.

I feel the focus on something like this should be bugfixes, consistency fixes, and quality of life additions. Any new content that is to be added should be checked to make sure it would fit in the game well. Perhaps add-ons made by badspot, rotondo, and the rest of the developers would be a nice addition. (terrain build rules, guitars)

A huge focus should be put in expanding the scripting language and removing limitations as well, through DLL mods.

Mods in the OP I feel would fit best:
- Duplicator
The New Duplicator, and have players spawn with this instead of the printer. Instead, you'd apply prints to bricks through the wrench menu.

- Fill Can
Shouldn't be a separate item, but still should be included as a function of the default paint can. Right click?

- Water FX
Shouldn't be a separate item, but instead be another option added in the paint can's FX column. Maybe a new column should be added for the shape-changing FX paints.

- Keybinded Console
Should be able to change nearly every keybind as well.

- Macro Saver
Would fit in well, and make the default macros more useful.

- Tab-Shifting Brick Selector
Very very needed QOL addition (technically a bugfix) as it allows you to see additional brick selector tabs. Brick selector resize would be another good addition.

- A new Tutorial Gamemode, with more content and more things to learn
A must. v21's tutorial is missing a lot of stuff from v20, rooms from the v20 tutorial could simply be recreated into the modern tutorial. There is even some code left from v20's tutorial in v21. A button added to the main menu would be a nice plus.

Stuff should be added to give server hosts more power, something like the expanded UI concept I did. Many features from Glass/RTB could be added, like the preferences manager and GUI downloading.

This is the longest post I've made in a while but I think something like this is exactly what would give Blockland some life and make it amazing. It'll be like RTB pre-retail.

if there were to be a community update, some sort of collaborative effort, I think it should be an update and not a glorified mod pack.
Exactly this.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 12:55:55 PM by Crispy_ »

if there were to be a community update, some sort of collaborative effort, I think it should be an update and not a glorified mod pack.

Yeah this

The point of this topic is fixes, utilities, useful additions/improvements that should have been in the game in the first place, not "what are your favorite add-ons to use"
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 01:51:30 PM by Electrk. »

The point of a "community update" is that the community does it. Think of something like NVSE for Fallout New Vegas and the JIP LN plugin, and the unofficial patch mods for the various bethesda

There is a really good, actually brilliant, example of a game "updated" by a community.
Long ago some people decided to make a game, the game was really cool and had awesome mechanics, graphics (for it's time) and setting, that even to this day you see rarely.

That game was S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl

The original developers of the game where taking so long, the company funding it (is that how it works?) told them enough's enough and that they had to post it.
The DEV'S whernt happy by this, and so they upload not only the game but the ENTIRE development kit to to the community so they could finish the game.

AND THEY DID!
You can play it for free, I currently am. Installing it though is a little tricky but that's beside the point.

The point is that a community can not only just update a game, but if they work hard enough, can complete change it and pretty much make it themselves.
Now no, I'm not saying "let's remake Blockland and distribute it ourselves", we don't have permission for that, they did, what I am saying is that we we are attempting to do is completely possible as previously shown by those Bethesda games examples, and not only that but a sommunity took it to the extreme.

So yeah, don't be discouraged that Badspots gone now, I guess in a way it ours game even though copyright laws say otherwise.

what i meant was i dont think he'd implement it

i understand what u guys mean now though
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 07:01:37 PM by torin² »

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 04:38:42 AM by elm »

There's an addon that lets you add slots to your brick holding menu, I just don't remember where I got it. Has a few bugs and can be annoying sometimes, but if it's fixed up It'd be pretty cool.

The /controlplayer addon would also do very well here. At least, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 08:10:47 AM by Doctor Disco »

wow it even comes with a system tray too!!!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:16:29 AM by Super Suit 12 »

we need legs in this update