Author Topic: Blockland Crashes When Hosting Server  (Read 2268 times)

Hi all,

So I'm trying to host a server with a big PTG terrain that I had saved and built off of. I can load up the save file just fine, but randomly my game seems to overload and crash randomly. The crashes are abrupt, not locking up and having Windows search for a problem, but immediately showing a "Blockland.exe has stopped working" message, with the code name "APPCRASH". The crashes seem to occur once I load up a saved environment and change its day/night cycle time. I have found a mild workaround to this and that is to load every configuration for the environment slowly so the game has time to process it. Once the environment is loaded, I leave the computer alone for a few minutes to process, and about 1/5 of the time I won't experience a crash in the next 3 minutes. If I don't crash then and I start to either build or drive around in a vehicle, the game will crash in the next 10-15 minutes. Strangely, none of this will occur when I load the save and environment in Singleplayer mode, only BL's Internet mode.

From many past experiences of debugging I checked the console.log various times, and even using the command, "trace(1);", I still came up with no reason whatsoever as to why the server is crashing. Nothing shows up as an error, and even after trying to fix some potential problems (which is me taking out the last few addons that last loaded in the console.log) my game still experiences these crashes. I also have tried cutting my brick count in half by modifying the save file to load in on an offset, which brought the bricks from ~80000 to ~40000. I still experience the exact same thing, and cutting the brick count does not help at all. I have tried clearing vehicles and bots, but that doesn't provide anything of help. Finally, I tried messing with my settings to bring BL to a lower grade of rendering and graphics, but nothing changed.

I speculate this to be an error involving some sort of overload of the game. My PC specs (posted below) can more than enough handle Blockland, and I have seen many hosts load big saves of heavy ModTer-Brick content. What seems to make no sense whatsoever is that the game has no signs of struggle. No lagspikes, drop of FPS, or ghosting is present. My OS seems to just close out of the game in error.

This is getting extremely aggravating and I can never keep my server hosted. I have looked into dedicated hosting for a workaround, but unfortunately I have a Steam copy of BL, and can't run a dedicated server and be on it at the same time. To clarify, I am using the In-Game hosting service.

As far as my knowledge of troubleshooting goes, none of this makes sense, but since I have only played BL for almost half a year I suspect somebody out there atleast knows what is causing this error. Please help in whatever way you can.

:::PC Specs:::
MotherBoard - Biostar A880GZ Gaming Motherboard
CPU - AMD 6300 FX Six-Core Unlocked Processor (Equipped with Corsair H100iGTX Cooler)
GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce 750Ti OverClocked
RAM - 8GB of total ram, 8GB active and useable by Windows
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (Activated)
Internet - Ethernet

Thank you for your help.
-speeddog73

Could be a problem with PTG

what happens if you host without addons?
what about on a clean install?
how much of your hardware is being used at crash?  (check task manager?)

Could be a problem with PTG
I had removed PTG entirely after I had finished generating the world.

what happens if you host without addons?
what about on a clean install?
how much of your hardware is being used at crash?  (check task manager?)
If I host without addons I don't crash. I have tried getting a clean install already, but left only the Addons and Save Files. (Some addon known for crashing maybe?) I checked the amount of processing power and ram that was being used for Blockland.exe when it had crashed, and came up with this.

Image above had failed, use this link: http://imgur.com/a/0Jcig

If I host without addons I don't crash.
it's probably an addon then
it doesn't look like your computer is running out of resources, since it was still at under half RAM and CPU

try figuring out which addon it may be
I'd recommend doing this by disabling a group of addons each test and seeing if the problem still occurs (ie test without vehicles, if that crashes, test with vehicles but without weapons...)

After going through addon after addon and trying to figure out the main cause of the lag I think I can confirm that BL is still somehow being overloaded by mods and/or content. After getting down to about 100 addons, I had finally disabled the one that seemed to stop the crashes; but when I re-enabled all the addons except for the bugged one, the server had the same crashes again. I will attempt to run as minimal addons and music as possible, then host. Hopefully I can get my client down to a low-power level. Somehow Blockland seems to just overload its total capacity for client hosting. If that's not the case, I have no idea what the hell is going on.

Thinking deeper, this could be something with my harddrive's reading speed, although it has never failed me before with any other type of server-hosting. (That's my last resort of a fix, get a new harddrive.)

For now, does anybody have any other ideas of a fix?

I doubt it's something with your harddrive. It's either a client-side add-on or a server-side add-on.

Post console log

your harddrive should only be used while loading, while actively hosting it should only depend on ram/cpu/gpu

and is your framerate dropping, or just straight up crashing?

Sorry for the delayed response, I was gone on a vacation.

and is your framerate dropping, or just straight up crashing?
My framerate does not lower or rise as far as I can tell. I get a constant 60 FPS and I don't lag at all through the crashes.

I have found a slight fix to this entire problem and that is to turn off the Day/Night cycle in Environmental Settings. I have found this to be a giant problem in the "overload of memory" that I suspect to be the cause of the crashes. I have unhappily toggled this off and stuck with a standard environment type, and from there out I have gotten no crashes thus far. Still I completely do not understand why I even need to take even a slight precaution to lowering BL's memory usage as it should take up my full PC specs. Nevertheless, I have found a "fix" for now, but I would still enjoy having a day/night cycle present in my server.