Author Topic: Blockland Apocalypse Contingency Plan  (Read 3227 times)

Steam forums bro
This would probably be the best route. It'd be most accessible and natural to new players.

Archive the add-ons and mod discussion board. The sooner Off-Topic and Drama is nuked the better
I'll second that, lol.

I had a project I started working on last summer to traverse the Add-Ons board, download the add-ons (some support for dropbox/mediafire links since a lot of download urls aren't direct), and save the title/description. The original idea was to build some sort of "namespace database" that could automatically detect conflicting mods, duplicates, incomplete packaged functions, etc. but it would be a good way to create an archive. Perhaps also integrate it in to Glass, but it wouldn't be built in, just accessed through an open API.

I've also been working on a sort of custom launcher (which I've dubbed "Blockland: Community Edition") to allow for a sort of community updates, as well as default DLLs which could give widespread adoption of something like blocklandLua which opens up a whole new realm of modding.

I actually already have a small demo site put together, and I assumed a forum would eventually be necessary if the idea were to take off. This could act to extend the life of the game and wouldn't be stomping on any toes as it still would use the default authentication (and thus still makes Badspot money). I really don't think he cares what is done to the game past that, it's approaching end of life and this sort of modding and work is one of the few things that will keep it going. I don't see any downside from his end.

If I continue to pursue the idea, I was thinking of making a post about it and contacting a few popular content makers to put together a sort of criteria or set of goals for where to take the whole thing. I wouldn't want the whole thing to just turn in to my personal blend of Blockland, I'd really like it to be a group-minded community run project.

Scraping the forum for files is not illegal, but it sure might put a strain on the server if not limiting the script. Therefore I made a scraper for the sake of caching and downloading Add-Ons from any subforum you point it to that is basically looking like BLF. I also added so it can store forum profiles as well.

https://github.com/McTwist/Blockland-Forum-Add-On-Scraper

I tried to avoid posting it here due to the shadiness of this script, but now when people might demand it, I'll put it here.

Sadly, I haven't added much support for indirect downloads. Mostly because it's a hassle to implement and keep up to date without downloading invalid files.

The biggest feature is that it will avoid bashing sites, only downloading after a certain interval. Currently it can traverse the whole Add-On section in about 12 hours on default settings and 2 cores. Downloading files is not included. Succeeding run will only download the newest posts. When downloading, it found 484 valid archives. I intend to optimize it a bit as it happens that the queue locks as it waits. That will, however, change the script quite a lot, so it's not anytime soon.

If people are interested, I'll add more features. My next move might be to modularize it a bit as the main file is now quite big.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:03:50 PM by mctwist »

Archive the add-ons and mod discussion board. The sooner Off-Topic and Drama is nuked the better
what about the Creativity section?
I'd say archive Creativity, Gallery and Help, plus the Environment, Faces/Decals/Prints, Music and Gamemode boards if you're not including those in add-ons.

This would probably be the best route. It'd be most accessible and natural to new players.

We just need to get the obnoxious loving spam cleaned off the first page

what about the Creativity section?
I'd say archive Creativity, Gallery and Help, plus the Environment, Faces/Decals/Prints, Music and Gamemode boards if you're not including those in add-ons.

I'd say Add-Ons and Mod. Discussion is absolutely paramount, everything else would be nice, except for off-topic and drama. I'd legitimately be happy if everything in those boards vanished overnight, needs a fresh start

I'd say Add-Ons and Mod. Discussion is absolutely paramount, everything else would be nice, except for off-topic and drama. I'd legitimately be happy if everything in those boards vanished overnight, needs a fresh start
Yeah... Maybe we should start a petition to just archive/delete everything in the current Drama and start one that's a bit more civilized (less name-calling, more actual problem-solving) and archive the current Off-Topic section (except major threads that would get re-created anyways, like day/night discussion, anime megathread, etc.)

We just need to get the obnoxious loving spam cleaned off the first page

Yeah... Maybe we should start a petition to just archive/delete everything in the current Drama and start one that's a bit more civilized (less name-calling, more actual problem-solving) and archive the current Off-Topic section (except major threads that would get re-created anyways, like day/night discussion, anime megathread, etc.)

I don't think that cleaning out the forum from dirt, dust and "toys" will keep the users from starting new threads. People are people, and if you want a clean forum, then one needs to deal with them first.

Is there any chance of steam workshop support for this game?

Unfortunately, there probably is not, as Badspot need to enable it himself. It's sad that he haven't, as it should be pretty easy due to the current state of the Add-On system.