Poll

Support?

Yes
No
I'd like something tweaked (post below)

Author Topic: Blockland: Community Edition Proposal  (Read 14315 times)

A new gui really shouldnt be a thing this community edition does if you want to keep mods compatable with stuff. I can only see a new "gui" being a thing if it was just a simple texture replacement of the gui graphics. That wrench menu would probably fit better as an unrelated add-on.

consider building on top of glass's live node system with socket and perhaps building a master server from socket.io

also, consider making a live chat client from the get-go that combines forum and chatroom, that perhaps lets you access blf too

rip man's hopes and dreams of creating a new gui

You haven't made any point. Obviously noone is going to make an extremely complex dll just to show you that it can be done.

Would it even be worth it?
So your response to my question is no, it wouldn't be worth it. Of course your going to be saying, well give them time, nobody is just gonna make it out of thin air! Well is anybody even willing to attempt it? Even if you can get a clear response from someone saying "yes I'll prototype that" my point is still valid, because it is now an obtainable goal, so therefore it's worth doing. If nobody is willing to make it, why even consider it as an option, just to get disappointed when it never happens?
Setting your goals too high is a really bad idea, start small.
Unless you have someone (or a team, whatever) willing to make it, it's not worth having as a goal. Put your ideas into action or they will never come to fruition. This applies to every idea in this topic, not just improved lighting.

hey dude, its worth it given how much it can do in making the game look and run like a modern game. just nobody who has the knowledge exists on this forum or wants to do so

also yes its good to set realistic goals but its also bad to shut out very possible goals that may be easier than you expect. i dont think anyone really thought putting an internet browser into BL would be feasible but pah made it happen.

basically keep the idea, but dont prioritize it or expect it to happen first is all. nothing impressive got done by someone telling themselves it isnt worth the time

am I wrong in assuming that Scout31 is willing to make it? I figured that's what he was suggesting in the original topic.

nothing impressive got done by someone telling themselves it isnt worth the time
Put your ideas into action or they will never come to fruition.
I'm not trying to downplay any ideas, I'm just saying that if you can do it, do it!
Edit:
Even if you can get a clear response from someone saying "yes I'll prototype that" my point is still valid, because it is now an obtainable goal, so therefore it's worth doing.
also this

am I wrong in assuming that Scout31 is willing to make it? I figured that's what he was suggesting in the original topic.
Most things I suggested are well within my capability to make, I'm not just talking theory. I've been fiddling with Blockland for about 6-7 years now, I'm pretty familiar with what's in the scope of possible and impossible/impractical.

I'm still not 100% on it, mostly because a lot of concerns brought up in this topic were the same concerns I had, which is why I decided to open up the idea to others. Ideally I wouldn't be doing it all alone, it would be great if it were truly a community project. Although, that was my intention for Glass too, and it was a solo project for the first year and a half until becoming a small team of three.

It definitely seems like there's interest in the idea, but there are a bunch of valid concerns about adoption, impact on new players, etc. Starting with mostly back-end or server sided changes may be a good start, and perhaps make it a slow transition.

the community edition would ultimately divide the playerbase into 2 populations: people who use the community edition, and people who don't.
you do realize

this isn't a matter of if, it's when.
the lack of updates after an update that essentially had a net negative in content is one of the most frustrating things you can experience. if you think that there aren't things being developed that aim to rework blockland into what it should've been, you're wrong. and it will fragment the community just as you say, but it wont split it into a 50/50 equal depending on how it's executed. it's entirely possible that such a project will claim an overwhelming majority.

at this point: stop giving a stuff about fragmentation, it's inevitable and all being against it serves is to stop the people who actually care about your silliness. the people who don't give 2 stuffs about fragmentation will just keep going, and as far i know: there's 3 major projects related to blockland active right now. none of them give a stuff about fragmentation.

you do realize

this isn't a matter of if, it's when.
the lack of updates after an update that essentially had a net negative in content is one of the most frustrating things you can experience. if you think that there aren't things being developed that aim to rework blockland into what it should've been, you're wrong. and it will fragment the community just as you say, but it wont split it into a 50/50 equal depending on how it's executed. it's entirely possible that such a project will claim an overwhelming majority.

at this point: stop giving a stuff about fragmentation, it's inevitable and all being against it serves is to stop the people who actually care about your silliness. the people who don't give 2 stuffs about fragmentation will just keep going, and as far i know: there's 3 major projects related to blockland active right now. none of them give a stuff about fragmentation.
it does matter if you want there to be an actual game community. the more versions there are the worse the fragmentation gets

normally its not a huge deal but this community is small enough that a single split in half could drop the individual version populations low enough to not be sustainable, with people leaving much faster than new players are joining.

its definitely possible for a community update to get widely adopted so its essentially the entire community, but that takes time. you can't release a community update version that hosts totally incompatible servers for vanilla users and expect it to end well. and the existing large projects you reference don't totally reject vanilla newbie users who have no idea that the mod or this forum exists.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:09:13 PM by Conan »

it does matter if you want there to be an actual game community. the more versions there are the worse the fragmentation gets

normally its not a huge deal but this community is small enough that a single split in half could drop the individual version populations low enough to not be sustainable, with people leaving much faster than new players are joining.

its definitely possible for a community update to get widely adopted so its essentially the entire community, but that takes time. you can't release a community update version that hosts totally incompatible servers for vanilla users and expect it to end well. and the existing large projects you reference don't totally reject vanilla newbie users who have no idea that the mod or this forum exists.
and a small community like blockland is easier to take the overwhelming population than it is to fragment it in any dangerous capacity. this happened before with RTB V1
there was temporary fragmentation with TBM and very slight fragmentation with blockland v002

i have no clue what large projects you're referring to as i'm referring to 3 almost completely private projects. two of which will be fully incompatible with vanilla blockland while the third aims for vanilla blockland compatibility via undisclosed means.

i still think that this whole community update thing is a fools errand as you are trying to modify blockland in unsupported capacities, it took years for minecraft to even get a functioning mod API up and running and it's to the point where you're putting in so much effort for something that's going to produce inferior results in a similar amount of time compared to just making your own spiritual successor to blockland.

I absolutely do NOT want this thread to die, I'm sure some of us could know/learn how to make this possible.

and a small community like blockland is easier to take the overwhelming population than it is to fragment it in any dangerous capacity. this happened before with RTB V1
there was temporary fragmentation with TBM and very slight fragmentation with blockland v002

i have no clue what large projects you're referring to as i'm referring to 3 almost completely private projects. two of which will be fully incompatible with vanilla blockland while the third aims for vanilla blockland compatibility via undisclosed means.

i still think that this whole community update thing is a fools errand as you are trying to modify blockland in unsupported capacities, it took years for minecraft to even get a functioning mod API up and running and it's to the point where you're putting in so much effort for something that's going to produce inferior results in a similar amount of time compared to just making your own spiritual successor to blockland.

making a game is no trivial task. unless youve done your own game programming dont even begin to suggest its easier to remake than to mod. do you know how unique blockland's modding system is?

also if you mean the projects lead by zeblote and trigun, trigun had to put it on indefinite hold due to irl stuff and zeblote i dont think is starting with a good engine to work off of. havent heard of the third one though.

making a game is no trivial task. unless youve done your own game programming dont even begin to suggest its easier to remake than to mod. do you know how unique blockland's modding system is?
so you mean to tell me that making a massive modification through what i assume to be a dll injection or modified game files is going to be easier than just outright making your own game? there's a difference between remaking and modding, and this update proposes such a massive mod that you would literally be better off just remaking your own game.
the amount of effort required to modify blockland in this fashion increases exponentially the more you want to do with it.

also if you mean the projects lead by zeblote and trigun, trigun had to put it on indefinite hold due to irl stuff and zeblote i dont think is starting with a good engine to work off of. havent heard of the third one though.
yeah we're talking about entirely different projects here. i was not referring to either of those 2.

let me make this clear: i am not saying it's easy to remake, i am saying modding in this fashion is going to run you into brick walls fast that will take more and more time and more and more effort to overcome to the point where the time investment just isn't worth being spent anymore.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:58:58 PM by Trymos »

so you mean to tell me that making a massive modification through what i assume to be a dll injection or modified game files is going to be easier than just outright making your own game? there's a difference between remaking and modding, and this update proposes such a massive mod that you would literally be better off just remaking your own game.
the amount of effort required to modify blockland in this fashion increases exponentially the more you want to do with it.
yes.

tellin you right now modding is almost always easier than creating (i cant think of a situation where it would not be, but i have faith there are games that bad out there), even modding the visual engine here would be easier than rewriting the game. you really underestimate the amount of work it would take to remake this, let alone how unique blockland is regarding modding already and why it would be so difficult to remake