Poll

Support?

Yes
No
I'd like something tweaked (post below)

Author Topic: Blockland: Community Edition Proposal  (Read 14305 times)

yes.

tellin you right now modding is almost always easier than creating (i cant think of a situation where it would not be, but i have faith there are games that bad out there), even modding the visual engine here would be easier than rewriting the game. you really underestimate the amount of work it would take to remake this, let alone how unique blockland is regarding modding already and why it would be so difficult to remake
while modding is usually easier than creating, sometimes there are limitations so stuffty that it's better to create a new game (or move to another) than to use stuffty workarounds and stuffty trade offs

yes but making a game is an entirely different thing than a mod. im not saying its always better to mod, but rather suggesting to write a new version of the game is a bad counter suggestion, as doing so always takes 10x more work than you expect. even if you think you are expecting more than you would normally expect

Depending on the complexity of what you're trying to make a mod and how high quality, then it could take from 2 weeks up to 6 months. For a game, including updates, it takes at least 3 up to 10 years to make. There is of course exceptions on both parts. Even porting a game from one platform to an another may take several years if it was poorly coded.

This is because a game includes so much things that modders does not need to think about, like: input, rendering, sound, drivers, networking and even physics. All those things takes more time to make than the modding system itself.

Of course, if taken an engine that already have those things implemented, it still will take time to implement all the functionality using those functionalities. And most of the time you need to make workarounds to make your game work correctly with the engine as good as possible. Sometimes it takes more time to fix your game than what it took creating it.

In conclusion: Creating a new game takes in most cases more time than modding an existing one due to that it requires to create or manage the engine behind it.

These .dll mods are the future of Blockland modding (Pah's browser really goes to show). I'm happy with the faces I'm seeing in this topic and I hope you don't run into any huge hurdles.

I've been monitoring the Blockland Glass statistics on their website. At one point, it said 100% of users on Blockland had the Glass mod. I think slow adoption of the mod (includes great additions that don't disallow non-modded clients) is the key. Once a majority of users have the mod installed, then you can start added stuff non-modded clients can't access.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:38:50 PM by rggbnnnnn »

you can only do so much with function hooking and c++ :o

you can only do so much with function hooking and c++ :o

Actually, you can do a lot with it. But here it becomes even more complicated and will therefore make the implementation of a mod even harder if functionality is replaced instead of added.

If we now ends up in changing too much parts of the game, it could easily take even longer rather than creating the whole game from scratch. Here we need to tread lightly to avoid doing such.

bump, hope this is getting some progress made on it.

I honestly wouldn't mind it fracturing the playerbase if the modifications are worth it tbh

Given this project showing some promise, I've decided to postpone this idea and focus on a major update for Glass instead. If that project ends, I'll revisit this.

what bothers me about ghosts project is that its more of 'making blockland better by straying away from it' than making it better by adding onto its capability.

make blbrowser default so handicaps dont need to complain about how to install it

what bothers me about ghosts project is that its more of 'making blockland better by straying away from it' than making it better by adding onto its capability.

well what do you want him to do?

making a blatant blockland clone would be a quick way to get a C&D

well what do you want him to do?

making a blatant blockland clone would be a quick way to get a C&D
you can't copyright gameplay. and there's several things that could and should be changed. I'm not suggesting we create a carbon copy of blockland.

then you'll really hate MY plans for a lego game
if they ever come to fruition

you can't copyright gameplay. and there's several things that could and should be changed. I'm not suggesting we create a carbon copy of blockland.

true

it just seems pretty similar to blockland already, just with some added features