so are we just not doing suburbia anymore or what

Author Topic: so are we just not doing suburbia anymore or what  (Read 3422 times)

An unfinished suburbia is better than no suburbia. who knows, someone might want to fix and release it.
doubt it, someone said the same thing to my cityrpg and no one has used mine at all, if someone wants to use it because it's cool they can't because they don't know how to code or fix the problem, it's best to at least fix it up so others can continue it/play it, i do understand where you are going with it but to me it just seems pretty petty to release its current state where the code could be relying on other add-ons (or it's just unstable) - i also will bet that people who push others to release the source in its current state (especially if it's unstable to release) will just make the add-on look like garbage then the people complain about it when they try it out - makes me wonder

i do get that there's a chance it may never be released because the add-on maker won't fix it up themselves, but this is just my opinion about unstable add-ons especially large ones like this that people compare it to a 'cityrpg' and want to use it in a desperate way to get players like any other cityrpg server

i'm just really against the entire thing of 'releasing the gamemode as it is' if it's not stable especially if people are trying to convince releasing the mod - i'm not against it if they do release it, just the people trying to convince the maker to release it in it's current state
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:33:54 AM by Kyuande »

I doubt anyone capable of fixing/revamping the gamemode would even want to to be honest. It's a lot of work from what Gyt described, especially if the code isn't in good shape.

Sad to see that Suburbia isn't being worked on but I totally get it.

I've wanted to make a city/sandbox based gamemode on Blockland for a long time but it seems like you have to pick between the following:

1. A fun sandbox gamemode with a bunch of rules, requiring a lot of administration. (See DarkRP)
2. A sandbox gamemode without rules. (deathmatch)
3. Linear progressive gamemode with grinding (CityRPG/Deathmatch with grinding)

All of which have their pros and cons.

3. Linear progressive gamemode with grinding (CityRPG/Deathmatch with grinding)
no

I do understand where you are going with it but to me it just seems pretty petty to release its current state where the code could be relying on other add-ons
While I agree with this it would be nice to have access to it in case someone else wants to do something similar.  Honestly if there was a "Blockland code repository" of unfinished addons that are known to not work 100% and may rely on unreleased stuff and such that would be pretty cool.  Obviously people would want credit if their work was used, but tbh people probably wouldn't go through it looking for finished addons but rather to either take something for their own use or fix it and release it.  Imo if I were to release something unfinished and someone else finished it but didn't give me credit I really wouldn't care (assuming its something like Blockland addons).

i'm not going to post the code because its an absolute disaster and i don't want to put any bad examples out there for up and coming coders

additionally nobody is going to fix it up and host it because in reality people with the required skills to do such a thing have their own stuff they want to do
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:17:48 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

i'm not going to post the code because its an absolute disaster and i don't want to put any bad examples out there for up and coming coders
So?
Dude, no one starts out as a skilled coder. Everybody starts as a noob. Bill gates, Eric hartman and  Crown were once a noob.

All of them didnt start out writing "good code", all of them wrote really bad code at some point in their lives.

So?
Dude, no one starts out as a skilled coder. Everybody starts as a noob. Bill gates, Eric hartman and  Crown were once a noob.

All of them didnt start out writing "good code", all of them wrote really bad code at some point in their lives.
yes but they didnt get better by looking at stuffty code for reference

for the sake of avoiding teaching modders coding practices that lead to pitfalls and problems down the line i have to agree with gyt on this decision as im 99% certain his code is a bigger mess than my prison break. the key problem about bad code is showing new coders that its """"ok"""" to have a lot of interdependencies between files
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:23:10 AM by Conan »

interestingly suburbia and feud are very closely related and i feel like family feud takes everything wrong with suburbia (mainly the size, cityrpg and building elements) and compresses it into a fun battlemix style gamemode. it was very hectic. another thing is it took one of the low points of most blockland gamemodes, the grind, and focused it more on combat which made it actually fun to grind, in the sense that stealing other people's weapons from the printer would further your team's need to be in the lead and take over the center point

it really centralized the base raiders type-feel into a coherent but hectic gamemode that held together well (until tier 7) and i feel that it shares some similarities with suburbia but is 10x better and cleaner. There was a lot going on, including raiding, capping, defending which all formed a holy trinity of difficulty advancement in combat, and it all worked well

i have never heard of this server but it sounds great. do you have a link to a topic or know the name/blid of the host?

it's gyt's server, he hosted it for a day but i think he's still working on it on the low