[NEWS] Scientists Just Teleported an Object Into Space for the First Time

Author Topic: [NEWS] Scientists Just Teleported an Object Into Space for the First Time  (Read 2681 times)

so wait they shined a flashlight into space and now everyone is freaking out?

I'm loving dying holy stuff

they calling for batman while hes at the watchtower

quantum entanglement is cool and all but it won't accomplish what people are looking for

so wait they shined a flashlight into space and now everyone is freaking out?
d00d cmon.

i wish i was the object they teleported into space

As cool as teleportation is, i would never personally use it.
For all that i know, the moment i teleport for the first time there could be a malfunction and i could be terribly forgeted up.
Or what if the teleporter wipes my sentience, yes it can teleport the body to the other side of the world but of what use is that to me if i cannot live after that, even if i did have my sentience, is it really the original me, or the clone me made by the teleporter...

resonance cascade when

gordon doesnt need to hear all this he's a highly trained professional

As cool as teleportation is, i would never personally use it.
For all that i know, the moment i teleport for the first time there could be a malfunction and i could be terribly forgeted up.
Or what if the teleporter wipes my sentience, yes it can teleport the body to the other side of the world but of what use is that to me if i cannot live after that, even if i did have my sentience, is it really the original me, or the clone me made by the teleporter...
You will die because it creates a clone of you somewhere else and kills the original.

They didn't teleport an object, they beamed (read: lasered) a bunch of paired photons that have been split on earth up to a satellite then measured the paired photon on earth and did the same thing on the satellite in a way that they were able to instantly transfer bit-sized data to the satellite via quantum teleportation. Big step but note they still had to beam the photons up which is subject to interference and is limited by the speed of light; they also had to beam up millions of photons and only a hundred or so of those photons tested positive for quantum teleportation effect.

You will die because it creates a clone of you somewhere else and kills the original.
it depends on the type of teleportation.

if your body was deconstructed at point A, wirelessly transferred to point B (where it is then reconstructed), then you died when you began the teleportation process at point A. the clone of you at point B would not realize that you have died and will carry on as normal. this is assuming quantum immortality is not a real thing (otherwise your consciousness would be instantly transferred to your body upon reconstruction at point B. probably. you could go somewhere else, like into a different timeline.)

however, if you were teleported by bending the plane of spacetime and puncturing a hole in it (wormhole technology), you will simply pass through the hole at point A and appear at point B without dying. it doesn't necessarily have to be a physical "hole" like a stargate or literal wormhole, but if it doesn't destroy your body, you should be able to remain alive.