Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 237771 times)

i think conceptually the big head could be cute but it just looks like a big head here

why did i just find this out this is loving BRILLIANT

The avatar is still a work in progress and won't be the final design I'm sure, but I'll relay the feedback.

I do actually like the style he's going for though

I just hope it doesn't have hair/that creepy face like in the sketch
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:58:55 PM by Electrk. »

That player design is definitely better than the other ones posted itt. my only critique is to work on the proportions, cause the head looks huge and the body also looks large compared to the limbs. Aside from that I like it a lot!

Head needs to be resized and I think the shoulder or the arm should be removed. If the arm is removed, connect the shoulder and the hand and make the hand bigger, if you remove the shoulder connect the arm and the body and make the hand bigger.

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird how much ya'll are focusing on the player model?
Like dam, it's important to the final game's aesthetic, don't get me wrong, but wouldn't asset creation be one of the later steps in game design?

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird how much ya'll are focusing on the player model?
Like dam, it's important to the final game's aesthetic, don't get me wrong, but wouldn't asset creation be one of the later steps in game design?
He asked for feedback

If it's just a placeholder model then there's no problem with it

placeholder looks like a 30 min job in blender tbh, it needs a lot more refinement to not look like a bunch of basic cube meshes tacked together

like even though blockland's is simple it has care put into using circular shapes and smoothshading in certain parts so it doesnt just look like a bunch of rectangles. even if you arent going after blockland awsthetic, it needs the same care.

and please, dont settle for anything less than perfect, since it will likely define the game aesthethic more than anything else. eg if you feel like something could be better, reject the iteration and work on pinpointing and fixing the oddities you feel are present

Thanks for the feedback, I'll let him know.

He asked for feedback

If it's just a placeholder model then there's no problem with it
placeholder looks like a 30 min job in blender tbh, it needs a lot more refinement to not look like a bunch of basic cube meshes tacked together

like even though blockland's is simple it has care put into using circular shapes and smoothshading in certain parts so it doesnt just look like a bunch of rectangles. even if you arent going after blockland awsthetic, it needs the same care.

and please, dont settle for anything less than perfect, since it will likely define the game aesthethic more than anything else. eg if you feel like something could be better, reject the iteration and work on pinpointing and fixing the oddities you feel are present
Yeah, this is simply a placeholder; having some kind of player model as a reference would help. Right now he's laying out the base geometry, and then will go back and refine it I'm sure. This will also allow him to get a lot of practice in with modeling.

I was looking through my queue and saw this game. I feel like this character style was what GSF was going for originally when he said "action figure" a while ago.

awesome idea of stealing concepts not just from blockland but from other games!!!

that being said yea the character aesthetic in there is p cool but idk how well it would fit with mostly angular blocks

Honestly I think the lack of joints with empty space between arm segments isn't a good idea.

can the subject's avatar be included as a face in the game