Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 237987 times)

but what about custom faces and stuff

but what about custom faces and stuff
all it really takes is a single UV mapped face

Alright then, I tried out some examples of character customization.

The game could allow the players to use a wide range of accessories
I really like these.

speaking of which

I think it would look better with the old smile.

This looks really good. At this point we're just nitpicking at a concept, but I feel the feet could be longer.

EDIT: I would love to see some more concepts of player customisation that isn't ripped from Blockland. Maybe some hair? More torso/leg shapes?

Alright then, I tried out some examples of character customization.

The game could allow the players to use a wide range of accessories
I really like these models, but again, I feel this playermodel would fit better in a different game. I get unturned and paint the town red vibes from these. (pttr probably comes from the afro dude lol)

EDIT: Also, I hate to be rude about this, but I feel that you should have developed this game further before revealing it. I'm worried this is going to die or end up being disappointing. :/

I really hope you succeed with creating this "blockland successor" game. There are so few games that allow for the level of creativity Blockland or even ROBLOX allows.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 04:50:11 AM by Crispy_ »

please use trogtors blockhead

Team Filipe represent

I think we should move away from simply using Blockhead clones. I really like what Titanium posted!

trogot wins imp filipe close second

also @crispy: gsf is like the only modder here who makes stuff not cause of everyone else being hyped but cause he genuinely wants it to exist - not many clamored for rpg mod or ptg from the beginning all the way until release, but he kept doing it and it turned out pretty incredibly impressive.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:44:31 AM by Conan »

gsf is like the only modder here who makes stuff not cause of everyone else being hyped but cause he genuinely wants it to exist

So essentially everybody should silence the bickering and wait till an opinion is inquired by Ghost and at least try to make the bare minimum of effort to be constructive. If there is a rivalry or debate about what the player's eventual appearance should be, a poll NEEDS to be created. A large portion of time has been spent on trying to figure out a silly cosmetic feature that is truly in it's entirety, pointless. To reiterate: What the player looks like should be saved for near the end of development, or at LEAST not this early on. I'm not trying to be rude or ignorant to other's ideas, but most of this information serves little to no purpose and only clutters this thread. Suggestions and inquiries, in my stuffty opinion, should be PMed and taken more seriously.

From what I'm understanding from this project; it seems that it really should call back to it's predecessor (Blockland), but yet in its own right should branch off and actually be it's own independent title, not a sequel. I believe that the core functionality of the game really needs to be the only focus at this point in time. Keep in mind, the early designs and construction of Blockand's functionality are generally set in stone; that's why we are left with a game that is extremely difficult to continue to upgrade with features and optimization. I'm not saying it's impossible to enhance Torque, but it does take a lot of man hours to achieve even the basic implementation of a new renderer. Excuse my tangent, but I see that this project can eventually become something huge. Unity is a very powerful tool, and if used wisely I believe you can satisfy the pre-existing Blockland community along side with newcomers to the project.

So essentially everybody should silence the bickering and wait till an opinion is inquired by Ghost and at least try to make the bare minimum of effort to be constructive. If there is a rivalry or debate about what the player's eventual appearance should be, a poll NEEDS to be created. A large portion of time has been spent on trying to figure out a silly cosmetic feature that is truly in it's entirety, pointless. To reiterate: What the player looks like should be saved for near the end of development, or at LEAST not this early on. I'm not trying to be rude or ignorant to other's ideas, but most of this information serves little to no purpose and only clutters this thread. Suggestions and inquiries, in my stuffty opinion, should be PMed and taken more seriously.

From what I'm understanding from this project; it seems that it really should call back to it's predecessor (Blockland), but yet in its own right should branch off and actually be it's own independent title, not a sequel. I believe that the core functionality of the game really needs to be the only focus at this point in time. Keep in mind, the early designs and construction of Blockand's functionality are generally set in stone; that's why we are left with a game that is extremely difficult to continue to upgrade with features and optimization. I'm not saying it's impossible to enhance Torque, but it does take a lot of man hours to achieve even the basic implementation of a new renderer. Excuse my tangent, but I see that this project can eventually become something huge. Unity is a very powerful tool, and if used wisely I believe you can satisfy the pre-existing Blockland community along side with newcomers to the project.
well the whole purpose of the thread is to generate hype and interest and start discussion about these things. its not detrimental to his progress to discuss these things, it would only be if we started demanding things rather than tossing around ideas.

also its to help gsf figure out what really should be at the core.
BL has so much different things cause the core doesnt push you towards thinking this is anything other than pure sandbox with extensive mod support, meaning anyone can create anything vs "oh it has medieval stuff and survival elements by default, i guess this is a survival game" gist.

im not so sure about your second paragraph but it sounds like grand scheme of things kind of stuff and talk about how game development works without knowing how it actually works. blockland isnt hard to make features and updates for; its actually probably one of the easiest to do in fact. its just the lack of good documentation that makes it more difficult to get started.

comparatively, adjustments to unity's engine is probably far harder, but is better documented. however even with such documentation it takes experience and knowledge to make adjustments without breaking everything (while BL's engine code overall is more resilient and easier to read afaik)

i think we all know what the real player model should look like

-snip-

Imagine, everyone in the game looking like Handsome Squidward.

Seriously though, I think the one Titanium mentioned earlier was pretty good.

Haven't read through the entire topic so I'm not sure if these have been brought up, but some nice things to see:

• World-based design as opposed to "saves". Gives a lot more continuity to maps, works well with a terrain generation system. Somewhat ripped from Minecraft, but it works very well for sandbox games. Loading/Saving maps could still work but I feel like it somewhat breaks immersion and shows a lot of barebone elements of how the game works.
  • Chunk saving and dynamic loading. Blockland's octree is technically chunk based I suppose, but this is a much better design system overall optimizing rendering, netcode, and real-time saving.
  • Asset based building. Being able to place pre-built multi-brick components. This is what I want to pursue in Blockland still, but support for something like this from the start would be amazing. Instead of downloading brick packs, you can download someone's "City Pack" and suddenly be able to place benchs, lamp posts, etc. as pre-constructed elements. It makes large builds much more attainable.
  • Scratch-like eventing system. Eventing is important in Blockland but does have a bit of a learning curve to it. Making something more visual and similar to scratch has a much softer learning curve and you can do some neat stuff with it that is complicated with events, like inherit variable support, conditionals, loops, etc.