Author Topic: Modern rap degeneracy  (Read 5070 times)

the metallica song is probably better than desiigner. i listened to his songs like 300 times and by now i've decided that his monotone voice and repetitive lyrics doesn't have much substance.

yeah but if it sucks it still sucks. and most of it sucks

music isn't comparable because people have their own subjective opinions. whatever is most popular gets played the most. it's popular for a reason, a reason that you, with a different taste in music, won't understand

if that particular metallica song charted #2 on the top 100 charts then it would be played all over the radio, because its popular
except most people don't actually create their own opinions on music. people will listen to any stuff just because it's popular

except most people don't actually create their own opinions on music. people will listen to any stuff just because it's popular
its popular because a lot of people listen to it. how did it get popular if people only listen to popular music?

people listen to music they like the sound of. if a lot of people listen to it at once, it becomes popular. it's not magic, it's just that a lot of people like that song

imo i feel like a lot of the newer artists have less desire to be a musician and are in it more for the money and would rather take the easier way of making music.

its popular because a lot of people listen to it. how did it get popular if people only listen to popular music?

people listen to music they like the sound of. if a lot of people listen to it at once, it becomes popular. it's not magic, it's just that a lot of people like that song
because big name producers put that music up there which makes it popular. you don't see many self proclaimed musicians with good music getting popular do you?

imo i feel like a lot of the newer artists have less desire to be a musician and are in it more for the money and would rather take the easier way of making music.
Thats exactly what this guy did.

true but what I think trogtor is getting at is there are a lot of passive music listeners. People who don't care about music, they will just listen to whatever is popular and enjoy it because other people like it. it's a social thing. At least I think that is his point.

because big name producers put that music up there which makes it popular. you don't see many self proclaimed musicians with good music getting popular do you?
once again good music is subjective. the main determining factor isn't how 'good' it is, it's how many people like it.it has some correlation but not causation

also big shot producers like metro boomin or zaytoven are actually musically talented and put a lot of effort into their production, while people like dj khaled just sit around and shout their name

true but what I think trogtor is getting at is there are a lot of passive music listeners. People who don't care about music, they will just listen to whatever is popular and enjoy it because other people like it. it's a social thing. At least I think that is his point.
the social aspect of it is why it's so popular. it's also why madonna and mj were popular, because their songs became a thematic staple in cinema and tv shows almost instantly. thriller isn't like, an amazing song that absolutely captivates the listener. however, it is a radio friendly easy to listen to song that many people enjoy and that's what matters

you could make the best song in the world that only 2 people like and it would only be popular amongst those two people. or you could make a somewhat okay song that 100 million people like, which is objectively better since you're meeting the needs of like 999,999,998 more people. part of success is balance, not just stretching your listener base thin by choosing a really hit and miss style that only a few people will like thoroughly
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:44:23 PM by PhantOS »

Tbh the only mumble songs I've liked are mask off and that one song from childish gambino (I've heard it was a diss track but I'm not sure)

Also modern music subjectively doesn't have to be as catchy or diverse as older music because generally it spends less time being popular because there's so many ways to get a hold of music now. Like even 20 years ago most people had to choose between buying the cd retail or waiting to hear it on the radio. But now you can basically stream whatever music you want the day it comes out.

you could make the best song in the world that only 2 people like and it would only be popular amongst those two people. or you could make a somewhat okay song that 100 million people like, which is objectively better since you're meeting the needs of like 999,999,998 more people. part of success is balance, not just stretching your listener base thin by choosing a really hit and miss style that only a few people will like thoroughly
i don't think it is fair to say that's objectively better. you are objectively creating more joy in the world which is good. But that does not mean the 1 song is objectively better than the other tbh. And no artist should be expected to choose a style that appeals to the masses lol. What a strangely corporate mindset.

in like 3 months a new musical trend is going to blow up so don't sweat it too much

in like 3 months a new musical trend is going to blow up so don't sweat it too much
Or more likely as soon as summer ends

i don't think it is fair to say that's objectively better. you are objectively creating more joy in the world which is good. But that does not mean the 1 song is objectively better than the other tbh. And no artist should be expected to choose a style that appeals to the masses lol. What a strangely corporate mindset.
yeah sorry i didnt mean it as a should shouldn't do, but like, if i were to make music professionally, i'd rather make mediocre music that a lot of people can enjoy rather than amazing music that very few can enjoy passionately. either way, making awesome music won't make you popular unless you're like, kendrick lamar or 2009 kanye west

when i said objectively better i did mean like, yeah, spreading more joy, though its not as sincere. i tend to take up the corporate mindset a lot on music stuff. sorry

yeah sorry i didnt mean it as a should shouldn't do, but like, if i were to make music professionally, i'd rather make mediocre music that a lot of people can enjoy rather than amazing music that very few can enjoy passionately

when i said objectively better i did mean like, yeah, spreading more joy, though its not as sincere. i tend to take up the corporate mindset a lot on music stuff. sorry
It's ok friend no need to apologize. I understand where you're coming from but I fundamentally do not agree. that's ok though. Personally when I make music I have no desire to appeal to other people-- not that I intentionally aim to alienate an audience, but it is very liberating not to restrict oneself to certain sounds accessible to the mainstream. Music to me is a form of escapism so I think it's great when artists are unafraid to be daring.