Brick Missing Faces

Author Topic: Brick Missing Faces  (Read 2287 times)

I made myself a model in blender, and when I put it through the obj to blb and place it in Blockland, its missing a good portion of its faces. Does anybody know whats up with it?

I suspect there may be a limit on how many faces will work
what happens if you remove the tank top, do the treads show?

I made myself a model in blender, and when I put it through the obj to blb and place it in Blockland, its missing a good portion of its faces. Does anybody know whats up with it?
Triangulare (or quadulate) them, those faces are probably n-gons. Which blb exporter are you using?

It may also have to do with the BLB file itself, like if there are faces that are listed under certain directions, they'll be culled out (hidden) by the engine for optimization

It may also have to do with the BLB file itself, like if there are faces that are listed under certain directions, they'll be culled out (hidden) by the engine for optimization
Not without adjacent bricks.

Flip the normals of the respective faces.

Blender you can press W and press Flip Normals.

Latest Blender with the "Solid" Viewport Shading seems to by default make a face black in the default view settings if the normal is wrong. I recall in certain previous versions there was no indication by default that normals are wrong, but there are ways to figure that out.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 07:37:10 PM by LeetZero »

also in the .blend files and .blb and such, faces with more than 4 verticies will not display.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:07:35 PM by Insert Name Here² »

Triangulare (or quadulate) them, those faces are probably n-gons. Which blb exporter are you using?
I am using the obj to blb executable that Badspot posted a few years back. When I triangulated the object it wouldn't convert.

I suspect there may be a limit on how many faces will work
what happens if you remove the tank top, do the treads show?
I removed the turret of the tank and it didn't change anything with the faces. The entire model has a face count of 228.

Flip the normals of the respective faces.
I tried this and it is still having the same problem, but with different parts of the faces missing.

I am using the obj to blb executable that Badspot posted a few years back. When I triangulated the object it wouldn't convert.
I removed the turret of the tank and it didn't change anything with the faces. The entire model has a face count of 228.
I tried this and it is still having the same problem, but with different parts of the faces missing.
probably should use something more modern. Demians's Blb exporter is extremely versatile and well documented, i highly suggest that one

also in the .blend files and .blb and such, faces with more than 4 verticies will not display.

its physically impossible to have a whole face with more than 4 vertices. even if it does register as an n-gon in blender, the exporter triangulates all faces

n-gons are mostly useless unless you're dealing with some fancy rendering engine or shader, so the chance of them being supported or generated is really low
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:19:24 PM by PhantOS »

probably should use something more modern. Demians's Blb exporter is extremely versatile and well documented, i highly suggest that one

I went ahead and put it through Demian's exporter and I got the same general thing I've been getting, but now the shading is all odd.

Did you flip all of the normals? Or just the ones that are not visible in-game?

probably cause normals, smooth shading, and ngons. you can triangulate it all in demians and the faces should show up

google checking and fixing normals, its a big part of modeling and you should learn about it

its physically impossible to have a whole face with more than 4 vertices. even if it does register as an n-gon in blender, the exporter triangulates all faces
In blender you can make faces use an unlimited number of verticies. Even if the exporter triangulates the faces, if the face it's trying to triangulate has more than 4 verticies, it simply makes the face not render. I've experienced this multiple times while making my bricks, so don't go telling me I'm wrong lol