Author Topic: Vehicle Customization Support 2 - Bump  (Read 1765 times)

I made this topic back in january, but I wanted to bring it back in the hopes of making it a possibility.
Ever since the original CVS mod got released, it had several suggestions to give it more features in updates, but sadly it's script is messy, and hard to edit out and give it more things, my plan is to start from scratch, and make a successor to this mod that has more features, a better UI, and more, the features I have in mind are:

- Save presets, just like the avatar customization GUI with it's line of presets on the top that you can save and load, same thing could be done for vehicles, there could be a client sided file that saves the presets for each individual car, so let's say you save several presets for a sports car, only that car will have them, you won't be able to load those presets on other vehicles, unless you make presets for the other cars.

- Better UI, better color selection and sliders, better and bigger icons, and maybe a 3D view of the car model.

- Save a custom preset for the car on it's spawn brick, the mod could provide the player a event command, that could work like this.
OnVehicleCustom > Vehicle > LoadPreset, by clicking load preset, it could open the CVS GUI, then you can customize the car, and it will be saved there, so the car will always spawn with the same preset, even when you save and load the build later, not sure if it could be done, but it would be awesome.

- Sub selections, you know how when you're customizing your player, once you give it a hat, it unlocks the accessory box so you can add plumes or visors right? How about do something similar for vehicles? Let's say you give a car a rally front bumper, once that is selected, it unlocks the foglights option, so you can add in some rally foglights that only works with that bumper, it can't be added in without it.

- Performance Changes, this one is more complicated and it might bring invalid packet issues, but I want to share this anyway, let's say you change the hood with one that has a bigger V8 engine that pokes out in the middle, it could boost the top speed and acceleration stats of the car

- Wheels, in the beta of the original CVS, players could be able to change the wheels of their cars, but it was scrapped since the way it was scripted, you could see cars with invisible wheels, and giving most players a lot of invalid packet issues forcing them to leave the server, but I do wish if there was a clean and properly working way to bring this feature back, so we could add wheels with different attributes for the car, better grip better drifting.

- A Version with unlockables or prices, a cool idea that was requested before, is to allow hosts to enable a pricing system for the CVS menu, players do races or jobs, get money, and they can buy parts for their cars, each part could have it's respective price, the prices could the chosen by the host.

- Be able to toggle the CVS mod via event, like that event I suggested earlier, there could be another one that prevents other players from changing the visual of the car by toggling it on or off, when it's off, the CVS GUI won't pop up once you aim at it and type the /garage command

Any more ideas feel free to share and if you're skilled enough as a coder and you're interested to make this happen, contact me.

Honestly this would be really great to have, but I can see there being a few issues with all those invalid packets.

Honestly this would be really great to have, but I can see there being a few issues with all those invalid packets.
We can scrap the ones that can increase that possibility, the wheels one for example.

We can scrap the ones that can increase that possibility, the wheels one for example.
I'd say make the ones that cause issues for those who don't have the add-on optional, so people can decide if they want all the wheel customisation options or if they don't.

If I was an expertise in coding, I'd love to contribute; I'd like to see something like this too..

Reminds me of some things I've been waiting for to be implemented:

It's been a while since Custom Vehicle Support (CVS) has been released. It is a very robust mod with plenty of potential. However, there are some areas which the mod could be improved, so here are my ideas.

1. Doing away with the /command

One of my major gripe with the current state of the mod is that it utilises a slash command. To me, slash commands always felt cheap. So instead of that I propose an impact wrench item for bringing up the GUI. I also understand some may have got used to the current slash command, so for those the usage of the command could perhaps be made available through an RTB preference.

Upon further thinking, I realised it would probably work better if a "Garage" labelled button was added to the vehicle spawn gui. So either an item or a special button could work.

2. Improved colour palette

The current colour palette is a very basic one. While it gets the job done, unfortunately it can become inconvenient to use, as you can't save colours, so in the long run it will always boil down to tinkering for too long to get the desired colour. Instead of the current colour picker, a palette similar to the avatar customiser could be introduced. It should use the colour palette of the paintset you are using while also giving you the ability to create and save new colours just for your vehicle.

3. Saving preferences

If you ever spent more than a minute thinking about how you wanted to make your car, or you simply wanted to have duplicates, then I am sure you felt the need for saving preferences. Perhaps it could be expanded upon by making presets saved into a file which could be traded between players.

4. Revising categories

Perhaps this would introduce the biggest change, that is why I left it for the last. The current system seems adequate at the first glance, but upon further inspection you could find a few problems. The biggest problem lies with categorising parts and accessories. The current system can needlessly bloat the number of part categories for your vehicle; for example if you wanted to add antennae and mud flaps to your vehicle as an accessory you would need two separate categories with two items in each. One for showing and one for hiding that particular accessory. I believe it would be more efficient if there was a way to enable multiple accessories at once. So for example, the antennae and the mud flaps could be in the same category and they would become something you could toggle on and off. It could be done by adding another argument in the .txt file. This might necessitate the use of some kind of a dependency system, so that you could set up conflicting accessories should not be enabled at the same time.

These ideas may require reworking some other aspects of the mod, but I thought I would share them anyway. Just for clarification, I am well aware the development of the mod was halted because MARBLE MAN got banned.

As for the impact wrench, I am willing to supply a model if someone ever takes interest in further development.

Now that I think about it I really need this if the BVRC F1 cars are going to be anything but solid colors. If the new version comes out and lets you use it on cars, has all the previously mentioned features (but just saving prefs is fine) AND works on original CVS vehicles I'm going to scream in joy.

Somehow I don't think the addon god Conan will help out since i don't think he's a car guy but who knows. Also the person who originally made this got banned for something addon related so that's also not great.

anybody have a link to the addon?
I haven't actually seen this addon, but I may take a look at some of these things

- Save presets, just like the avatar customization GUI with it's line of presets on the top that you can save and load, same thing could be done for vehicles, there could be a client sided file that saves the presets for each individual car, so let's say you save several presets for a sports car, only that car will have them, you won't be able to load those presets on other vehicles, unless you make presets for the other cars.

- Save a custom preset for the car on it's spawn brick, the mod could provide the player a event command, that could work like this.
OnVehicleCustom > Vehicle > LoadPreset, by clicking load preset, it could open the CVS GUI, then you can customize the car, and it will be saved there, so the car will always spawn with the same preset, even when you save and load the build later, not sure if it could be done, but it would be awesome.

- A Version with unlockables or prices, a cool idea that was requested before, is to allow hosts to enable a pricing system for the CVS menu, players do races or jobs, get money, and they can buy parts for their cars, each part could have it's respective price, the prices could the chosen by the host.

- Be able to toggle the CVS mod via event, like that event I suggested earlier, there could be another one that prevents other players from changing the visual of the car by toggling it on or off, when it's off, the CVS GUI won't pop up once you aim at it and type the /garage command

Reminds me of some things I've been waiting for to be implemented:

1. Doing away with the /command

One of my major gripe with the current state of the mod is that it utilises a slash command. To me, slash commands always felt cheap. So instead of that I propose an impact wrench item for bringing up the GUI. I also understand some may have got used to the current slash command, so for those the usage of the command could perhaps be made available through an RTB preference.
if I were to implement that it'd literally just call the command for you, not actually getting rid of the command

anybody have a link to the addon?
I haven't actually seen this addon, but I may take a look at some of these things

if I were to implement that it'd literally just call the command for you, not actually getting rid of the command
It's available on my add-ons topic.
https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=294554.0
You should also download a vehicle to get an idea on how it works.